Chapter 24

Kaida found herself sitting in the Queen's study, alone.

A servant had come to inform her that Elara would be running late.

Kaida fiddled with her hair.

Her plan was to try and get Elara's plans out of her directly.

Elara would tell her anything. She trusted Kaida.

Besides, if Elara got suspicious, Kaida could prevent her from delving into her mind, although that might give away her ability.

Kaida's foot tapped idly, causing her skirt to slide over her leg and brush the floor.

She had to calm her nerves.

With a sudden burst, Yelena came rushing in.

Her blue robes were tied tight and her pale hair was slicked back, as usual.

Kaida barely had a chance to turn around, Yelena moved quickly.

She pressed a hand into Kaida's shoulder and stared. Her eyes were filled with an unspoken urgency.

Yelena held up a key - the key to Elara's desk.

It was time for action.

Kaida shot up and circled around.

Yelena was nimble as she unlocked the draw and pulled it out. She lifted the papers, and spread them across the desk.

She went to fetch some other paper and a pen, from another compartment.

Yelena shoved the pen into Kaida's hand and tapped the papers hurriedly.

Kaida got to work instantly, while Yelena kept an eye on the door.

She furiously scribbled down several names on a list, along with their addresses. It was some sort of blood archive - a blood bank of all the Reds who had the mutation.

Kaida did not dwell, she flicked to the next sheet, moving on to analyse the schematics of a prison.

A prison built by Lord Ayaz Pietron to house the Red deviants.

Kaida sketched out the floor plan, to the best of her ability, taking specific note of the security rooms, entrances and exits, and the positions of the watch towers.

Kaida shuffled the sheets, looking for important information.

There - what was that?

A design for a device.

Elara had commissioned a mind control device, a collar that caused unimaginable pain when one thought about using an ability.

It still looked clunky, not perfected yet.

Kaida could not hide her disgust, her shock.

Yelena became alert, hearing footsteps approaching. Before Kaida had even finished, she pushed the papers back into the draw, memorising the order Elara had kept them in.

She locked the draw again.

Kaida folded her rushed notations and tucked them underneath her dress.

She fixed her skirts and looked up simultaneously.

Sylvanas Eagrie was standing in the doorway, hands clasped behind his back.

Kaida's eyes widened and she wanted to scream. Had he seen her?

Kaida sat casually on the edge of Elara's desk, pretending to enjoy the view.

Elara's study was up high, in a corner of the Palace. It overlooked the dome of the arena below, and some of the city.