Chapter 21

Kaida was blown back and rolled roughly along the floor, tumbling until she hit her head on one of the granite blocks supporting the marble pillars.

It made a horrible thudding sound but it slowed her momentum.

Every inch of Kaida ached.

Her hair had come undone, the black strands partly obscuring her vision.

She groaned as she sat up.

The world was spinning and her ears rung.

The smoke began to dissipate and what Kaida witnessed was absolute carnage.

It was a war zone of silk and death.

Guards and Sentinels came running in, along with hoards of Palace Security.

They roared over all of the chaos.

"There! In the alcoves!"
"They're running!"
"Stop them!"
"Don't let them escape!"

They gave chase.

Kaida slowly pulled herself up, stumbling and swaying.

The Silver Lords and Ladies were still fleeing all around her.

For all their strength and power, it seems like they did know the meaning of fear.

All it took were a few bullets to bring the terror out of them.

They were useless.

Kaida became rooted to the spot as her eyes darted around, taking in her surroundings, taking in the ruin.

People lay scattered and injured, their bodies strewn across the Hall.

Blonos Healers rushed to their aid immediately.

There were shouts of mourning. Of Pain.

Axton Macanthos was being wrestled away from his father's body, as he yelled in anguish.

No. No...

Ptolemy Macanthos was dead.

Silver blood tricked down his face. The bullet hole was strange, surrounded by cracked and rocky flesh. He had tried to stop the bullet, to shield himself.

But it was too late.

Kaida tried to move forward, not knowing where to go. Her legs felt heavy and sore.

People were being pulled this way and that. The King's guards had rushed Tiberius and Elara away instantaneously.

No one noticed Kaida.

She looked for a familiar face, anyone at this point.

She spots Evangeline, knelt.

The metal pieces of her dress are splintered and haphazard, poking out. She looks a mess, a tornado of silver and metal.

Kaida soon realises she is kneeling over Ichiro's body, pressing a hand to his shoulder as silver blood dampens her pale fingers.

The light began to leave Ichiro's eyes.

Evangeline was screaming for a Healer.

Kaida stepped back in shock, everything slowed.

It all sounded foreign to her, the voices, the chaos. Like she was underwater.

She hit Ayala sprawled out across the floor.

Ayala was by Eden's side, her hand on either side of Eden's slender face, trying to wake her.