Chapter Twenty-Two; Wakanda Forever

Nyx had her favorite hoodie with FRIENDS in bold letters on the front, her favorite black shorts under as she stood in front of Bucky with her arms crossed over her chest.

A Wakandan doctor stood in front of him as he took his vitals, beside the soldier also stood the pod where he was going to be put under until further notice.

Wakanda was an impressive place and Nyx was in love with the hidden treasure, and even though she might have kicked T'Challa's ass in combat, she claimed that he had kicked hers too. They were even.

She respected the shit outta him when he allowed Bucky and her to hide in his country, and he made sure they were both taken care of.

She was often bombarded by kids wanting to play with her dark wavy long hair, even almost getting poked in the eyes as the children were curious about her different characteristics.

It was nice to be recognized by someone other than the monster that haunted her inside.

She focused on the present as Steve approached Bucky, both in casual clothes.

Nyx smiled as she moved away to give her boys privacy, Steve and she have gotten close enough that Steve considered her as his little sister, it was why she already knew Steve wanted to speak to Buck alone.

T'Challa approached her, his eyes searching her face as he stopped beside her, "You are welcome to stay as long as you want."

Nyx met his eyes, a small smile taking over her face as she glanced out the window to the beautiful paradise that was outside, "Can't get enough of me, huh?"

T'Challa chuckled, easily getting used to her humor which resembled one of his dear sister, "You know what I mean." His accent was noticeable as he glanced back towards Bucky and Steve.

"Thank you... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I wasn't near him." Nyx admitted quietly, turning so she watched the boys speak, "A lot of people are going to be after me now that I'm not just a ghost story...and I can't let them find him." She silently warned, she might turn out to be more trouble than what she is worth.

"Let them. You are safe here. Both of you." T'Challa smirked daringly as he spoke confidently of his and his people's abilities.

Nyx smiled to herself before Steve moved away from Bucky, sharing a glance with her as if to say now was her turn to say goodbye.

She pressed her lips together as she excused herself from T'Challa, slowly walking to where Bucky waited seated on a medical table.

"I know why you're doing this... it still sucks." Nyx button lip jutted out as she stared at her feet once she was in front of the soldier,

"I know." Bucky's arms curled around her softly, his chin propping on top of her head as she melted, "It's for the best."

"I promise to try my best to stay out of trouble." Nyx joked as they separated enough that they could look into each other's eyes,

"I already told Steve to watch over you." Bucky rolled his eyes playfully and Nyx scoffed dramatically, "I am no damsel in distress- I am not in need of a guard dog. Mr. Barnes."

Bucky chuckled before lowered his forehead to hers, his eyes vulnerable as he got serious with her, "Promise me you will be safe, and you will stay alive no matter what."

"I promise." Nyx whispered as a lump formed in her throat,

Bucky closed his eyes, inhaling her scent as he memorized all of her into his mind.

Nyx was the one to lean in, her lips connecting with his in a heartfelt kiss. Both weren't ready to say goodbye- not yet.

They pulled apart as a throat cleared behind them, "We're ready, Mr. Barnes."

Nyx glared at the doctor, not appreciating the distraction and the hard call to reality.

Bucky sighed before he pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, his hand staying on her cheek as he looked down at her with an emotion Nyx couldn't decipher, "See you later, doll."

"See you later, handsome." Nyx smiled as she forced the words through the lump in her throat.

She cradled his cheek before she trailed a finger over his lips, her touch making Bucky feel warmth he hadn't felt before.

Nyx nodded once to recollect herself before she stepped away, watching as Bucky was led to where he would be submerged in cryo.

Steve put his arm around Nyx's shoulders, showing her comfort as they watched someone that meant a lot to them get put to sleep.

She looked away when she was sure he was safe, her hand squeezing Steve's fingers as she stepped away,

"We will be okay." She gestured towards Buck and herself and Steve looked down at her with concern,

Bucky wasn't lying when he said he had asked Steve to watch after her, and Steve wasn't sure if she would be okay to be alone in a big place like Wakanda- where everything was so different.

"If you ever need me..." Steve started his speech- for like the hundred times today,

"I know- I can call you and you will be here. If I get lonely, I can also give you a call. If I get bored, I can join you in your adventures. And if Buck's wakes up, I give you a call." She recited word by word with a deep voice which made Steve smile to himself,

"Good." Steve chuckled lowly before he squeezed her shoulder, bringing her into a bear hug which she appreciated before they broke apart, saying goodbye as they each went different ways.

THE END.

For now at least...