Chapter 1

Loud beeping and cars speeding outside were as loud as ever. Despite all the noise muffled by the thin walls, the soft hum of his little alien friend was still heard

"Heya buddy" the man pat the small, green, floating ball with a tired smile. He forced himself to sit up on the sofa, scratching his boxers without an ounce of shame.

"Chookity!" The small alien span with a bark, floating away to the kitchen that was connected to the small living room.

"Hang on" the tired man scratched his stubble as he stood, kicking a few empty cans of beer away from his feet as he followed the alien "I'll get breakfast running" he yawned, following his usual routine.

Having spent 5 years on a mission with his crew had made the man accustomed to routines- he wouldn't be able to follow his day through without doing at least a small portion of it.

"Catch" he called, throwing the burnt slice of toast behind him without looking, knowing fully well his little friend would catch it.

The small alien chirped, eating the piece of toast whole as he caught it

"Nice one, Mooncake" the man turned with a chuckle, leaning against the counter as he held his cup of coffee- he never did like coffee, usually he'd drink it only to show off to Quinn how 'manly' and 'cool' he was, that he was just like her and could handle the bitter taste of bean juice.

He recalled her sarcastic "well done as he forcefully chugged the disgusting taste down, holding back any funny faces he might have pulled off.

Things were different now, the blond wasn't the same as he used to be.

He had put in a few more pounds looking more bulky than his thin form that he used to have, his once long hair had been shaved off when he retired from the Infinity Guard, wanting no one to find him. He didn't run away....no- Gary Goodspeed and running away just didn't mix- but he didn't want the job anymore, he didn't want to be a so called "hero" like his father when he couldn't save his own crew.

"What does it matter?" Gary sighed, brushing his cold hand over his face as he made his way back to the sofa.

He had a room, a small one, yet he preferred to sleep on the sofa as it reminded him of the small bunk beds in the Galaxy One- it reminded how HUE used to flip only his bed, forcing him out of it as he would often over sleep.

"Mooncake move" Gary waved his hand, trying to push the little alien out of his view so he could watch TV "what is it?" Gary grumbled as Mooncake flew with an empty box of tater tots.

Gary paused, sipping on his cup of coffee with a dead expression before sighing

"I'll go get ready and buy you some, alright?" He stretched, leaving the half empty mug with the other beer cans on the small coffee table.

Mooncake seemed happy with the reply, chirping behind Gary as he walked over to his painfully small room.

Gary didn't even open his closet, picking up the same pair of dark jeans that were on the oddly neat bed and putting them on along with his brown boots under the baggy jeans. He shrugged as he decided to just wear the white T-shirt he was already wearing, finding that the stains weren't as visible, turning to leave with his leather wallet in his back pocket.

"You wait here, buddy" Gary headed for the door, struggling to open it. Mooncale whined, smudging their faces together

"I know...I know- but we can't risk people seeing you, they want you gone...remember?" Gary's tone softened for his old friend, petting him before stepping out "tell you what- you behave and I'll bring us some snacks, sound good?"