Chapter 2

Foreman Fritz couldn't believe the rejection from the retired soldier- he had believed he didn't want to work for them anymore as they wanted to get rid of E35-1, a threat who he calls Mooncake and treats like a pet- but now Gary had refused a very important mission...

"Is he running away?" The man clicked his tongue in disappointment, sitting on his big chair as he looked ahead at the long and empty table, the reminder that other commanders were fighting for the Earth while he was sat here doing nothing to help.
Fritz felt useless but he also knew that it wouldn't matter if he joined without a solution- he knew they were bound to lose if he were to join just like the others...fighting and saving time only to amount to nothing.

Logan was long gone, having joined the rest of the remaining troops to train and read the information they got from their enemy so far.

Fritz considered joining forces with other planets but no one ever wanted to get involved, far too afraid to put themselves in risk as well.

"Pehaps I can form an alliance with them?" Foreman Fritz wondered aloud, rubbing his chin in thought. Anything but the end of Earth would be best- they could be turned into their slaves but as long as everyone was alive and the Earth remained it would be alright for the commander.

"That damned Goodspeed..." Fritz cursed, smashing his fist against the folder with all information on Gary that they found "all this could be avoided if he just agreed"

"Chookity!"

The air had a delicious scent, sending the small alien, Mooncake, into a little happy dance.

"They're almost ready" Gary chuckled, amused by Mooncake's excitement for tator tots. The alien could eat practically anything but those seemed to be his favourite.

Gary soon sat down on the sofa, Mooncake resting on his lap and eating the promised food with happy hums.

"You never change, do you?" Gary allowed his hand to pet Mooncake, smiling down at the alien as he purred against his hand.

Gary wouldn't lie, he missed his crew, his friends. He missed the monotone sound of HUE's voice telling him off and chuck being bullied by Quinn's smart remarks- he missed Derek despite him being a huge dick as well.
His crew was perfect, brave and strong...and now they were gone

"Playing hero will always get you killed" Gary commented at the movie, watching the main character rush into danger "I'm gonna go grab my meds, ran out last night" he warned the alien, lifting him up before placing him back on the sofa.

Mooncake barked in response, mouth still full as he watched Gary head for the door and grab his leather jacket.

As soon as Gary stepped out into the cold, still pulling the jacket around himself, he pulled out a cigarette and lit it up. Digging his hands in his pockets, he made his way to the closest 24 hour store there was.

He entered the annoyingly bright store, throwing the cigarette away and walking towards the medicine section, grabbing the usual antidepressants to help him sleep and paying for them. Once he had placed the box in his leather jacket's pocket he made his way back out in the cold, cursing under his breath as the sky started spitting.

"Catch him!" A loud voice called from one of the alley ways, a cat (or was it a kid?) Running out before being pulled back with a hand over his mouth to refrain him from screaming.

Gary sighed, walking past the alleyway and only glancing in to see the thugs beating up the poor kid- had nothing to do with him so there was no way Gary would get himself involved.

BANG!

Gary froze as the familiar sound of a vintage bullet gun was heard, ringing out in his ears.

He sighed, running his hand over his face at what he was considering.
What was he supposed to do anyway? The kid was probably already dead- Gary couldn't help him now.

Even so, he had already turned and began walking down the poorly lit alleyway.

"Next time we'll shoot ya in the head, punk!" One of the men spit on the kid who sat against the wall in pain, hissing as he grabbed onto his leg.

"Now, why you boys bullying the poor kitty cat?" Gary asked, lighting up a cigarette as he made his way towards the small group of three

"The fuck?! None of your buissness old man!" One of them barked, poiting the gun in a threatening way "piss off!"

Once Gary was close enough, he grabbed the gun with his metal hand and turned it away
"Dont be like that, I don't want any trouble" he grinned, trapping the cigarette in his teeth as he kneed the man in the stomach.

Perhaps it was the old Gary wanting to come through, be alive once again, have hope that things would be better or perhaps it was the fact that he just needed to blow off some steam.
One thing Gary knew was that the moment he was punched in the face, his cigarette flying away, he couldn't help but grin.

Adventures and danger, something the Gary seemed to have adrive for since he was a kid.
He loved exploring the nearby forest to his home as a kid, gathering different bugs and showing to his father. He loved the running away from mobs, laying in their face as he succeeded at stealing from them. He loved the training the Infinity Guard put himself through, the way his muscles ached after. He loved the way Earth was counting on his crew to defeat the Lord Commander and save Earth...

When had this thrill died?
Like a fire that had been extinguished by the heavy rainfall- it was good for everyone else except Gary.
Everone praised the rain while Gary cursed it for taking away his warmth.

Right...the thrilled died after they all died...after the few times he died.

"Now..." Gary panted, turning to the passed out kid on the floor, his once fluffy ginger fur was now wet by the rain that became heavier by each second "what to do with you"