Prologue

"In Greek Mythology, death is not the end. It is merely a part of a cycle. Souls are tricky this way. They leave the mortal body, take the form of the person, enter the Underworld, journey through the River Styx and then at the end of the river, they will be weighed by the three judges: Rhadamanthus, Minos, and Aeacus. Those who are found lacking will find eternal suffering in the Fields of Punishment. Those who lead their lives neither good nor bad will find themselves in the Fields of Asphodel, always seeking but never finding. And then those who lived exceptional lives are delivered to Elysium, an eternal paradise. But this is also the field of Choice. If they so choose so, they may continue upon the road of rebirth. However, there is a caveat. They must bathe in the River of Lethe where they will forget everything that they once knew and everything that made them who they were. Only then will they be reborn." she narrated to her literature class the same old story that she had marvelled upon for years. Her eyes surveyed her students and although some were either asleep and fiddling with something else, there were some whose eyes were bright and wide in interest, all focused on her. She chuckled internally. This was a scene that she has gone through over and over again, year after year. Literature was not exactly the easiest of courses. It cannot be imposed. It's either the learner is genuinely interested in learning it or is only there for the sake of passing a general elective. There was no in-between.

"Are there any questions?" she followed up and glanced at her watch. It was a little too early for dismissal but the lecture for the day was over, and Lea, in her consideration and leniency, wasn't too keen on keeping them if they could use the remaining time for something relatively productive.

She sighed and smiled and was about to end the lecture when a lone hand rose amongst the throng of her students.

"Yes, Mr Alcantara?"

"You said souls." he started hesitantly but him whose eyes were lit with utter curiosity was not to curb. "What about the soulmates?"

The last bit seemed to have gotten the attention of everyone in the lecture hall. Those who were fiddling with their phones put them down; those who were drifting to sleep were suddenly all attentive; and those who listening closely and scribbling notes, sat straight.

She shook her head. Indeed, nobody could resist anything that was "love" related. Who was she kidding? These were college students. Of course, they are interested.

"Now that you mentioned it, there is something" she murmured and went around her table and sat atop. With all eyes directed at her, she took a deep breath. "The soul is comprised of a pair separated at birth. They will both lead half-lives seeking each other. And once they find their significant halves, only then will they be complete"

Silence reigned in the room when the bell pealed and the students scrambled to gather their bags and proceed to wherever they needed to be.

Lea, on the other hand, took her time. Perk of being a professor and all. With her bag on one hand, she took one step at a time until she found herself in front of their faculty room. She reached the knob and swung open the door only to be frozen on the spot as her eyes met another's. 

Her heart was throbbing against her chest, her breathing going erratic.  There was something in the man standing across her, frozen as well. She did not know him but it felt as though… she did.

"Lei!" called her friend and co-professor Regine. "This is Professor Lizares. He will be taking over Prof Fernandez' load kasi nga diba may sabbatical siya"

She was drawn in his eyes, they were speaking to her the soliloquys long forgotten that only the soul can recall. And in the same heartbeat…

"Lea"

"Ian"