Chapter 4: τέσσερα

She hasn't had any dreams. The past several weeks had been the most peaceful sleep she's ever had. Maybe it was because she no longer had the urge to unravel everything, or perhaps it was because she was with someone who gave her a reason to not keep on dwelling in the past.

The past several weeks she had spent with Ian had been nothing short of blissful. He was the kindest, gentlest person she's ever met, and every moment she spent with him was one for the books. It was almost ridiculous to think how someone who looked snobbish at times, and intimidating as he towered over almost everyone was in fact a floofball who laughed in the most inopportune times. She loved his laughter and she loved it even more if she was the reason for that same laughter.

She found herself spending more and more time with him since they decided that they wanted to make things exclusive. She had come to look forward to their breakfasts by the sea, and sporadic road trips whenever either of them was going stir crazy.

She loved every moment she spent with him. She loved him. It wasn't difficult to do so. If loving someone was a choice, then it was a choice she would consciously, and deliberately make but it isn't and for some reason, she found herself falling for him and caught herself right in the middle of doing so. She cannot remember when she started loving him but remembered vividly the exact moment she realized she was already in love with him.

She spent the night in his house after having been drenched by the rain. She was on her way home from a meeting when her car broke down in the middle of the road. She was humming along with the Hadestown's Come Home With Me when the car came to a staggering halt. She scrunched her forehead and checked the gas, only to see that the tank was three-quarters filled so it couldn't possibly be the problem. She had her car checked two weeks prior, knowing that she was going on a long drive. She didn't anticipate mechanical failure when the car was conditioned just for that trip. She climbed off the car, ran to the hood, and opened it to try and see what was wrong, only to be met by steam. She cursed her luck. Of all days and places that her engine could possibly overheat, it just had to be in the middle of nowhere right before sunset. She would have called the mechanic but it was turning dark, and she didn't fancy the idea of staying in her car the entire night while waiting for the mechanic who was not going to be able to fix the car till the following day. Sighing in defeat, she stumpily grabbed her phone from the shotgun seat to check her location when she realized that Ian's house wasn't that far away. He probably felt that something was off with her because her phone rang and his face came on the screen. She didn't think twice to answer his call.

"Hey, are you home yet?" he asked through the speakers.

She bit her lip and grimaced. "No. My car broke down."

"Are you okay?" he asked, voice laced with concern.

"I am but my engine overheated. Baka bukas pa to titingnan ng mechanic," she sighed.

"Send me your location. I'll pick you up," he suggested, drawing a small smile across her face.

"Are you sure? Baka may ginagawa ka."

She heard him chuckle through the phone.

"You know I'd stop anything when it comes to you."

She felt her cheek burn up upon hearing those words. If she was a gambler, she would have bet that her face was red as a tomato. But there was a certain comfort in knowing that someone held her to such importance that he would drop everything for her.

It didn't take long until he was stepping out of his car, glasses perched askew on the bridge of his nose but nonetheless, he was all grins.

"Hey!" he greeted.