chapter 53

Harry slipped on the dark shades as he walked into the precinct. He had been promoted over two weeks ago, but he had not been to work since that fateful day. So many people called out congratulations to him, and he nodded back. He wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone.

Walking over to his desk, he sat down and began packing all his valuables into a carton. When he was done, he walked to the chief’s office. He knocked and was asked to enter.

“Pierce, how you doing boy? Kane told me you were sick. Feeling alright now?” he asked.

Harry flashed his teeth in a fake smile and nodded. He just wanted to get out of there.

“Congratulations on your promotion. You got rid of the supplier, Anna.”

Harry had told them at the station that her name was Anna, and that she was just a supplier in LA. They had believed him. Shaking off his thoughts, he pulled out his badge and dropped it on the desk, along with his gun.

Chief looked at it, “What’s this boy?” he asked confused, “You got the promotion, didn’t you?”

Harry turned to leave, “I quit.”

He was at the door when he asked, “Who fired the shots? The ones that killed her.”

He needed to know who it was so it could ease the guilt that had been eating him up.

“I don’t know, it wasn’t one of us.”

“And her body?”

“Her brother took it.”

“Did he tell you his name?”

“Yeah, called himself Dmitri, something like that.”

That was not her brother. Harry nodded and left the room. He went to the forensic lab, but Diana wasn’t there. Lucky him. He quickly sat at her desk and deleted all information regarding Anna’s case. What he did was considered a great crime, but he didn’t care. He also took her file and left the office.

Putting the file at the bottom of the carton, he left the precinct. Dropping the carton in the back seat, he was entering his car when Kane came running out.

“Hey Harry! Heard you were back.”

“I’m not back,” he said quietly.

“What?” Kane asked confused. Then he noticed the carton in the car, “You are leaving? Why? You solved the case, didn’t you?”

“Yeah I did. But at what expense, my heart?” he asked bitterly.

Kane looked confused and Harry just shook his head. He was in no mood to explain.

“I’m leaving man, but we’ll keep in touch.”

Harry got into his car and slammed the door close. He removed the sunglasses and looked at his face in the rear-view mirror. His eyes were rimmed red. It had just been two weeks since she died, but it felt like forever.

The drive home was swift and uneventful. He set the box on the kitchen counter and without turning, he knew there was someone else with him in the house. Harry sighed and turned around.

Lucas Cabrera stood in the doorway dressed in an awfully expensive looking black suit. He knew the face, the guy was on almost every business magazine. Billionaire playboy prince.

Heir to the Cabrera fortune.

The kitchen seemed too small for his aura. He looked sophisticated. His very presence screamed power. He was after all, one of the richest men in the world, and Jacks brother. They finally met face to face.