Chapter 13

Sam awoke in the morning to find Nico was not in bed with him anymore. He arose and put on his sandals and tunic and set about to find his new friend. Sam had slept well and the air was fresh because the storm had cleared out the humidity, so it felt good to breathe in the fresh air that was coming from the courtyard. Yet, he was troubled.

Sam had spent more than a few platonic nights with Marcus, but the previous night had been somehow different. Sam suspected that Nico might have more prurient desires, the kind that Augustus frowned upon. Of course, Augustus frowned upon men taking any lovers that weren't their wives, male or female. The first citizen believed in the Roman family unit, and since Sam had been married he had been the model husband. He had not even so much been tempted into another woman's bed, even avoiding the slaves and prostitutes that were not covered under the city's strict adultery laws. This was a point of pride for Sam, but now he felt uneasy.

Sam wasn't about to deny what he had experienced the night before, and he knew had felt desire for Nico. He just wasn't sure what he should do. He made his way to the courtyard, where he saw Nico sitting on a bench and using a piece of twine to entertain Cleopatra, who jumped around like some sort of insect.

"Good morning," said Nico.

"Good morning," replied Sam.

"There's some bread for breakfast," said Nico. "I thought we could eat out here since the air is so fresh. Brutus's ancestor, whoever built this place, chose an ideal location in that respect."

Sam nodded and he knelt down and petted the kitten. "I'll take her to my wife today. Lilli must be very bored. Hopefully, Cleopatra will entertain her." Sam stopped speaking for a moment, but he decided to bring up business. "Soon," he eventually said, "you should expect a dinner invitation to the Hadius house. I assure you the evening will not be boring."

Nico looked down at Sam and smiled, and Sam felt simultaneously happy and uneasy at the sight of him. "As long as you are there," said Nico, "I won't be bored."

Sam got up and sat next to Nico on the bench, and Nico reached over and placed his hand on Sam's and Sam's heart started to beat. "I was happy for your company last night," said Sam suddenly.

"And I yours," said Nico.

Their eyes met, and Sam a jolt of delight in the intimacy of the moment, such as he had never quite experienced before. It was like there was a secret between them.

"Augustus says that we must channel our baser desires to our wives," blurted Sam. "That we must keep things pure."

Nico seemed a bit annoyed by this remark, but then he looked Sam straight in the eyes. "So, things have been pure between you and the Emperor?"

Sam's eyes widened. "Don't ever call him that. He's the First Citizen, and yes, he understands that we all have baser desires but they can be channeled to what is right and good. There are many fine girls here in Rome. You could easily find a wife. Lady Sabina thinks your mother wants..." Sam stopped talking. Nico had an expression that was a mixture of amusement and irritation.

Nico leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek and then whispered in his ear. "I agree with the First Citizen on one thing. That you deserve that which is pure and good. We just might disagree on the details."

Sam felt his face get warm, and he laughed nervously. Still, Sam had no desire to leave Nico's company. In fact, he was looking forward to getting to know him. This flirting, he told himself, was just something the Greeks did, and as long as Sam channeled his desires toward Lilli, there was nothing wrong with being close to Nico in the way he was close to Augustus. It felt a little like getting too close to a fire, but Sam told himself he wouldn't get burned.