Chapter 17

Sam had changed into his finest toga, and he was about to head to the atrium where he would greet the arriving guests, including Nico. Before he could, Eolus burst into his room and grinned at him.

"I hear you went above and beyond the call of duty to your family last night," he said amiably. "I can't say I'm surprised, as it's doubtful a young Greek could resist that cock of yours."

Sam blushed, at himself for not remembering Eolus had spies in Nico's household. However, it seemed that Eolus assumed that Sam had played the male, and for that he was grateful.

Eolus's sexual interests were exclusively directed toward young women, so he had never used Sam as many Roman men in his position would have. In fact, by adopting Sam, Eolus had granted Sam patrician status and the protection of the law so no man had ever dared touch Sam, as the penalty for it would have been death.

This, however, did not stop Eolus from being aware of the size of Sam's cock and believing, as most Romans did, that it brought luck to the household.

"I don't wish to speak about private matters between Nico and myself, except to say that we have become friends," said Sam casually.

"Friends that kept his slaves awake into the night with their cries of pleasure. Please, Sam, I'm not judging. You're without your sweet Lilli, so why not take what the Greek offered you? I'm sure you made him happy. My spy assures me he's been whistling most of the day."

Sam inhaled. If Eolus knew the truth, he might beat Sam or, at the very least, Sam would never hear the end of it.

"Father," breathed Sam, "I beg of you not to say anything to make the Greek feel self-conscious tonight. He's quite shy, and I doubt he'll be one to take your barbs in good humor. Nor will he be happy you have a spy in his house."

Eolus nudged Sam's arm. "I'll not say a word. I've seated him next to your mutual cousin Sabina. She needs a distraction, and I hear he is quite handsome. Maybe she'll set her sights on him as a husband and not do anything that might enrage your mother."

Sam sighed, having nearly forgotten the surreptitious courtship between Sabina and Eolus, and that Eolus still pretended he was uninterested in Sabina. That would make the evening even more complicated.

"All I wish, Father," said Sam, "Is that we survive the evening and that our guest goes away happy."

Sam just hoped it wasn't too much to wish for.