Chapter 14

The chariot races were unlike anything Nico had ever seen. He had been to many in Athens, but the ones in Rome were longer, more intense, more exhilarating, and more violent than anything he had ever seen. There had been three grisly crashes that afternoon, including one where a driver had been killed when he had fallen under his own wheel. It hadn't taken more than a few moments before the unfortunate man's body had been carted away and another race had begun.

It was grim, but Nico supposed it was part of the risk of the sport. Nico glanced over at Sam, who seemed saddened by the man's death but not overly concerned. It was apparently a regular occurrence here.

Nico also was particularly fascinated by the racers, who all had physiques that would equal gladiators and weren't shy about showing them off. The racers appeared to come from all parts of the Empire, some even appeared to be from the far north and far east. Nico wondered how they had come to this place. Unlike gladiators, the chariot racers weren't slaves. If they survived their profession, Nico supposed it was a fine way for a man with no education to make his fortune.

"It takes both bravery and skill to be a chariot racer," said Nico. "I raced a bit when I was younger, but of course my father would never have allowed me at this level. Far too dangerous."

Sam appeared impressed. "I would have bet on you had I been at your race," he said coyly.

After the races, they walked through the streets, where fans were celebrating or lamenting, it was difficult to tell which, with copious amounts of wine.

Without even asking, Sam obtained a couple of cups from a street vendor, and Sam smiled at him as he took a sip.

"Don't gulp it as you would breakfast wine," said Sam. "It's not diluted much at all. You'll feel it very shortly."

Nico smiled, resolving to sip it slowly. The streets were dangerous, and he was obviously not from Rome and wealthy.  He would make an easy mark if he became drunk on these unruly streets.

"I'm sure we could hire a litter or cart if you don't want to walk," said Sam.

Nico shook his head. "I'm hardly a vestal virgin," he replied. "Besides, I don't know how long I'll be here, and I want to soak up as much of the local ambiance as I can while I'm here. Rome's sights are legendary."

Sam smiled and sipped his wine as well.

"What shall we do now?" asked Sam tentatively. "We can return to your house to be sure, but if there's somewhere else you'd rather go..."

Sam's eyes moved to a nearby building, in which several very young and pretty women who were most certainly not vestal virgins beckoned from the balcony.

Nico laughed. "I'd rather not partake," he said. "Although, I'm happy to see the whores of Rome are of excellent quality."

Sam sighed. "Not all of them are, but that place serves the patricians exclusively."

Nico looked at Sam, "Do you wish to go? I know you are separated from your wife."

Sam blushed and shook his head, looking down at his feet. Nico suddenly felt warm and giddy, as though he had drunk all the wine but it had really been only a sip. Most young men separated from their wives would eagerly visit a brothel, but more and more Nico was sure Sam's inclinations were elsewhere, even if Sam hadn't quite realized it yet.

"Well," said Nico, "I can again invite you to my home. We can drink more wine and you can lament the loss of your beautiful wife, even for this short time. Perhaps we can think of names for your son or daughter."

Sam grinned, and they walked on through the streets. As they went, Sam chattered about going to the theatre or seeing a puppet show or some acrobats. He promised that the entertainments of Rome knew no boundaries, and the chariot races were just the beginning.

Nico smiled to himself, thinking that all he wanted was to return to his house and share some more strong wine with Sam and talk. If Sam wanted nothing more, that was fine by him. Sam's company was enough for now.

They walked and talked through the wild streets, remarking on everything from the young men dressed as women, to a tavern brawl to the fortune tellers offering to read their future, but eventually all of the hedonistic elements disappeared as they reached the patrician part of Rome and Nico's house.

"I'm dusty," said Nico as they stood in the atrium and Nico brushed off his toga. "Why don't I have my women draw us up a bath. It's not like the bathhouse, but it will certainly do."

Sam smiled and agreed, and Nico realized that Sam simply assumed he would be staying the night. This was perfectly agreeable to Nico, as was the thought of bathing with him in a more private setting. Nico wondered if he should have drunk another cup of the strong wine to make him bolder since he was suddenly a little nervous.

Soon after, they were standing in the bathing room, having the women remove their clothes. Nico kept his eyes on everything but Sam's body, including his impressive cock, as they both got into the warm bath, submerging themselves, even their hair.

Sam wasn't shy at all as he took a jug of olive oil and offered to rub Nico's back with it. Nico nearly said no, fearing that his desire for Sam would overcome him, but he turned and let Sam start to rub his back and shoulders and arms. It felt wonderful, especially since the seats at the races had been quite uncomfortable, but as Nico feared he became gripped with desire - something he was sure Sam would notice the evidence of.

Sam didn't seem to notice, but he turned around, handing Nico the jug of oil. Nico got the message, and he began slowly rubbing the oil into Sam's back and arms.

"You're beautiful," whispered Nico, before he could even stop himself.

Sam glanced over his shoulder and smiled, and Nico took that as an invitation. He put his arms around Sam's waist and pulled him close, not caring if his hard cock pressed against Sam's ass. He pressed his lips against Sam's shoulder.

Sam inhaled, but he didn't pull away.

"Nico, I love my wife dearly. Augustus says we shouldn't..."

Nico heard the hesitation in Sam's voice, and he didn't want to push Sam into doing something he didn't want because of obligation. As hard as it was, he let Sam go and stepped back. He couldn't say a word as Sam turned around and looked at him sadly.

"I have never been unfaithful to my wife," he said sadly. "I've never even been tempted, until now."

Sam was the picture of beauty as he stood there naked, apparently unashamed. Nico could see that he spoke the truth of his temptation, as the evidence was visible. Nico was in the same state, and he cursed the gods that would put them in this position and then give them impediments to prevent them from taking what they wanted from each other.

"You've never had a male lover?" asked Nico, somewhat incredulous since in Athens it was the norm for young boys to enjoy each other as well as older men. Nico had only run afoul of convention when he hadn't turned at least some of his attention to young women as he had grown older.

Sam shook his head. "I know of it, though. I've not been that sheltered. Augustus warned me many times that there would be men who wanted too much of me. He said they would use me."

Nico heard the sadness in Sam's voice, and he stepped closer again. He put his hand on Sam's cheek. Sam didn't move away, and then he leaned over and kissed Sam's lips gently at first and then deeper, thrusting his tongue into Sam's mouth. Sam kissed back, and Nico pulled their bodies together, hard cocks and all, as they continued to kiss.

"I don't wish to use you," whispered Nico in between kisses. "I don't wish you to tease me, either. We can make each other happy, but you must be willing and without shame."

Sam held Nico close, and he sobbed, and Nico felt his heart sink. How could something that felt so right to both of them make Sam so unhappy?