XXIX. Prince of Hearts

Rabiya

In her dreams, she saw the freedom that she'd been craving, the joy that bathed her in a new light. A new dawn was fast approaching, and Rabiya was so close that she could reach out and touch the soft light that beckoned her. 

Ya Allah, are we really free? Have we escaped?

It felt too surreal as if the fantasy would crumble into darkness before she could blink. Still, she pressed on, continued to reach for the blinding scope of freedom, kept believing  with every fiber in her being. 

A hand gently shook her shoulder, waking her from her sleep. Adar smiled at her, a warmth radiating off him just like in her dream. 

"We landed," he whispered, nudging her. "If we hurry, we can beat the lines at Customs."

"Customs?" she asked, still groggy from her sleep. 

Her husband nodded as he stood to pull their bags down. "U.S. Customs and Border Protection if we were to be technical," he said. "They ask us a few questions for security purposes before allowing us to go through."

Rabiya rubbed her eyes, the sleep still heavy in her gaze. "Why do we need to be questioned? Our visas were approved, were they not?"

Adar's figure visibly tensed as if she had wounded him with her question. He turned to her with a sad smile, dark eyes cloudy with the weight of where they were. When he spoke again, his voice was a mere whisper, haunted by his mentor's warning. 

"Remember where we are? Even if our paperwork is finalized, we are still strangers seeking refuge on their lands," he said to her, sighing. "Strangers are not always welcomed, sweetheart."

Strangers. That's who we are now.

Professor Ismail's warning seemed to weigh even more heavily like a ballast to her chest. 

"How will we speak to them? My English is intermediate at its best, but even then I'm afraid, I truly struggle," she confessed, heat rising to her cheeks. 

She tried to busy herself with her hijab, feeling ashamed that she failed to do more research about their new homes. Overseas, they only spent a few hours a week to learn English, not enough to be fluent but enough to write it on paper and a few general conversations.

Her husband noticed the tension, and she felt him shuffle to sit beside her again, his arms already wrapping her in his tight embrace. The heat of his lips pressing against her forehead made Rabiya glance up to meet his gaze. 

A shade of sparkling bronze gazed back at her, hope as evident as the stars that lined a midnight sky. His touch brought heat across her body like a blushing rose, petals soft only to him. 

Looking into those dark eyes of his, she was reminded of the time she first saw her husband as she wept for her grandfather. It felt like ages ago. Never did she imagine that same village boy would be her pillar of strength, constantly reminding her of Allah's mercy and blessing.

"It might be hard now, but as time goes on we will learn In Shaa Allah," he said with a smile that made her heart flutter. "Worst case scenario, we rely on the basic English that I know. Alhamdulilah (thanks to God) for Professor Ismail for being so strict with me." 

They both laughed at that, a wave of euphoria brushing past them. The fleeting moment of sadness melted as their laughter took lead, taking the reins and marching onward to a new horizon.

After their laughter subsided, Adar stood up, arm outstretched towards her. "So, dear wife, shall we?" he grinned.

She could only smile.