XX. Red-Eyes

Adar

The next night came in a blur, a fleeting grasp of reality drifting into the whimsical atmosphere of what could have been a nation of peace and prosperity. The world they lived in thrived off of wars, relished bloodshed, and bathed in the aftermath of glory. Winners were not always righteous nor were the losers always innocent. The scale of balance tipped.

And with that tip fell the tears of those that lost everything.

He could not get the images from his head, could not stop seeing the pain and sorrow etched among the faces of Abdul Jalil's family. Rabiya and Adar found their shelter, a nearby medicine store meant for soldiers were secretly treating the family's injuries. The general decided to mediate the situation, and told Adar to rest while they escorted the family back to the estate.

How could he sleep when the one he loved was in so much misery?

A family that once had everything in abundance was left with nothing but dust and broken memories, their daily lives haunted by the legacy of their loved ones, their property shrouded in their unbreakable will. It wasn't enough to save them, yet the fire of determination ignited within all their hearts.

Adar knew the general would not change the situation at all. Although he hated to admit the realities that seemed unfavorable, he knew it was the most logical.

They had to abandon the estate. If they didn't, their lives would be sacrificed over nothing.

* * * *

The next morning, Adar left in the early hours of Fajr (dawn prayer) without his parents' knowledge, not that they cared. He hadn't spoken to his parents at all, and all they gave Adar was cold, threatening stares. Even Adar's sisters found more shame in him than honor.

A sharp, acute stab tormented his heart, squeezing his chest painfully. His family didn't understand him. They didn't understand the sins they reveled in, and Adar could not plant the seed of knowledge within them. All he could do was pray for Allah's mercy on the Day of Judgment.

Ignoring the thought, he approached the estate again, his mind already formulating the small speech he had prepared. He could see no other option in protecting the family except through Rabiya first.

Exhaling a deep breath, he walked down the steps, leaving his house behind. He felt anxious, lost almost, but he knew he had to help the family, had to atone for his family's sins.

He wanted to marry Rabiya, and only through marriage could he take her away and convince her family away. The road ahead of Adar was foggy, casting long silhouettes of uncertainty, but he was willing to take whatever risk necessary.

However, right before Adar turned the corner, a hand grabbed him from behind, yanking his collar into a nearby shaded corner, hidden by bristling leaves and rigid branches, a place where light barely seeped through. Darkness engulfed him.

Adar's muscles tensed, arms prepared to punch the intruder until a familiar abyss of dark brown eyes, the type of brown seen after a storm hit the soils, stared back at him with a chaotic gleam, wild with fury.

"It's been a long time, Miraj," said Adar, slightly pushing his friend's grip off him. "Though, I must say that this type of welcome is unappreciated."

"What is wrong with you?"

He raised a brow. "Pardon?"

Miraj exhaled slowly, the anger seeping into the tense air. "I asked what was wrong with you? How could you meet with the very people who have a price to your life? Are you insane?" he fired harshly.