VI. Beguiling Beauty

Adar 

A blissful silence surrounded him, hidden by the gracious shade of a mango tree, dark shadows falling over his seated figure. He continued writing, watching the ink seep into the paper like water in sand.

His cursive letters etched the horrors of liberation, fallen soldiers, hurricanes, and the dangers that the independence leaders sang in hopes of disguising the evil in bright blossoms of different colors. 

Adar sighed, placing his pencil down. Leaning his head against the smooth trunk of the tree, his mind began to drift away towards a realm of fantasy, a world of peace. A modestly covered woman infiltrated his thoughts, consuming his mind with her curious brown eyes. For some reason, he could not stop thinking about the shy girl who stumbled before him in the bazaar, mumbling her apologies at every chance. 

He smiled. 

Suddenly, his peace was disturbed by the loud chatter of students, gossiping as they walked into the building before him. Adar's eyes fluttered open, huffing in distaste as the girls giggled after some of the older boys. In return, the young men offered each one a grin, hoping to find a suitable future wife if need be. Most of the boys liked to keep their options open. 

Adar could not have been more disgusted than he was then. Their predatory and hungry gazes reminded him of animals, the very comparison Allah had used many times before. Allah warned the believers away from sinful behavior, but at the same time offered mercy to those who could not resist the temptation.

However, their sins were only forgiven if they felt the weights of guilt bearing down on their shoulders and the poison of shame running through their veins as they atoned for their sins. 

Sadly, many in his country refused to acknowledge their shame, choosing to take advantage of Allah's forgiveness and committing the same crime over and over again as if it were nothing but a speck of dust. Those greedy boys only wanted women for their own vicious desires, no care of the consequences. 

From the corner of his eyes, he saw the ones who lowered their gazes and the young girls who ignored the attention. A feeling of pride bloomed within his chest, knowing that there was still hope for the ummah (community). There were still a handful of boys and girls who did not lose sight of Allah and His commandments. There were still blessings that showered upon the youth without Adar's knowledge.

"Can you believe that girl from the bazaar yesterday?" whispered a female student as she passed Adar.

Her friend grinned. "I know! She was socializing instead of grieving with her family. What type of a granddaughter is that?"

Adar gripped his pen tightly, trying his best to control the tendrils of anger.

"She is such a nuisance. City girls have no business in villages unless they want something."

"I agree. Maybe we should pry out her secrets after class and force the truth out. That girl is suspicious," she said, eyes glancing around and searching for Rabiya.

This time, Adar could not resist. Standing, he towered over the girls from behind, clearing his throat to gain their attention. Shocked, the girls turned, stuttering at the sight of a teacher's assistant. Adar gazed down with a deep frown, enjoying the terrified look in their eyes at his authority.

"Would you girls care to explain this recent gossip?" he questioned slowly with a hint of a threat in his voice. "Or should I take this to the Headmaster?"

"No!" they yelled.

Adar crossed his arms over his chest. "I would suggest that you two keep out of trouble and away from the new student. Any signs of irresponsible behavior from you or any of your classmates shall be reported," he said, leaning closer. "Spread that as a rumor instead."