06 | Take Care of You

***TW***

  One step outside the door and I am even more claustrophobic than I was inside that God-forsaken room.  What looks to be an old, wooden stairway leads up to a steel door propped open just a sliver.  The excitement of seining the bit of light come through the slight opening sets a fire inside of me that makes me want to jump out of my skin.

  I turn to Daniel, a hopeful expression on my face somehow asking if I can go up the stairs, to which he nods.  He steps in front of me, holding his hand out while he grips the knife in his other.  I don't have to study the hard lines of his face for too long to know that I am expected to take his hand if I am to go up.  Placing my trembling hand in his, he wraps his fingers delicately around me as he leads me up.  Each plank creaks under his weight, making me nervous about the integrity of this stairway and if it will ever collapse.  He turns his head occasionally to check to make sure that I am keeping up, or maybe even that I am still here with him.

  As we make our decent up the stairs, I notice something etched into the wood that makes bile rise in my throat.

  Scratches. 

  I didn't notice them at first because they weren't so common on the lower planks, but in the middle they become increasingly frequent.  My feet refuse to move another step as I can only stare at one particular plank with scratch marks scarring the wood up and down.  Now I see that this particular plank of wood is not the same color as the other either: it is stained with blood - only making it look darker than the others.  With the scratches I can tell what it really is.

  I don't know I long I've stalled us until I look up at Daniel to see the amused look in his eyes.  He must've been waiting for me to connect the dots as the smug look of satisfaction comes over him.  

  "Do you want to know what happened?"

  I swallow the lump in my throat and release a shaky breath I had been holding.  To answer his question, I don't know if I want to know or not.  I can't clearly calculate the outcome of either, but I know I must answer him.  Only, I can't seem to get the words out as I imagine on my own the scene that might have taken place here to cause the scratches and the blood that stop at this one plank and don't extend to any of the others.

  Clearly, a girl tried to escape and she didn't make it.

  I've wasted too much time before I even realize it as he pulls his hand from mine and grips my face.  My cheeks ache under his vice grip as I blink away the tears forming.

  "Princess, when I ask a question I expect a response.  Now, tell me yes," he pulls me face up and down to nod, "or no," he then moves my face side to side.

  Despite his rough hold on my face, I manage a nod and a weak 'yes.'  As much as I can bring out the soft side of Daniel, I will; his stern, angry, aggressive side is one beast I will do my best not to wake.

    "There's my good girl."  He releases his hold on me, leaning down to kiss my reddening cheeks.

  We each take a breath and allow each other some space.  Daniel leans back against the railing and crosses his arms over his chest, his skin taut over his muscles.  I pull my eyes away, internally scolding myself for admiring the way his muscular torso is on full display.  I don't even let myself look down at the way his sweatpants hang low on his hips.

  "One of the girls before you, one of the very first actually, she was released from her handcuffs prematurely.  She grabbed a handheld mirror I had given her and hit me over the head with it.  While I was coming to my sense she ran out and up the stairs.  I'm surprised she made it as far as she did with her injuries, but I guess the adrenaline gave her a boost."  He chuckles softly as if he was telling a dad joke.