• Prolouge •

*Harper's POV*

I watched as my breath escaped my lips and became a vapor that quickly evaporated into the atmosphere. I supposed it was time I turned on the heat; dad would be back soon and she would be livid if she found out the heat no longer protected the house from the bitter cold that pierced through the frosted windows. It was on nights like this that I felt the most alone. I wasn't alone really, the cat curled up on my lap would whine if she knew my thoughts. I ran my fingers through her black fur that was speckled with spots of grey, she was an old cat.

I picked her up and hushed her as she whined from the sudden disruption of her sleep, "I'm just turning on the heat Darla" I mumbled more to myself than to her as I placed her on my bed. I slipped on a dark grey cardigan and made my way down the wooden steps that were chilled enough to pervade through the protective lining of my fuzzy socks. I quickly turned on the heat and looked at my phone to check the time. 10 pm...Dad would be home soon and the house wouldn't be hot enough by the time she got here. I ushered myself to the living room and quickly lit the fireplace, it's orange glow illuminating the small space. I quickly joined Darla on the loveseat, she had made her way downstairs when I was lighting the fireplace. I pulled the throw blanket off the couch and spread it over my legs and Darla.

Tomorrow was my last day of school and I haven't been more prepared and more ill-prepared for anything before this. The school was....torture, to say the least, I was ready to be free of the mocking, of the beatings, and the just plain abuse. With my dad's permission, I was able to cram and cram and graduate two years early. I had already cost her so many problems just by being here.

A clack of the front door's lock followed by a jingle of keys let me know dad was home and I hoped the house was hot enough to avoid suspicion. "Harper? Where are you?" My dad's voice echoed through the old house and I smiled, "in the living room dad!" I listened as she took off her probably snow-covered parka and gloves and hung up her bag, "Sorry I had to work late; did you eat the pizza I had delivered?" she questioned as she sauntered into the living room.
My dad was a beautiful woman, 6'1" and long platinum blonde hair, the only thing I got from her was her slightly tanned skin and her unique Lavender colored eyes. My mom, I don't remember anything about her but the warmth her hand had. I felt bad I limited my dad from finding her true mate, she just got stuck with me from a one night stand. A night that shouldn't have happened.

"You're making that face again Harper" she sighed and leaned down in front of me, "did something happen at school again?" I shook my head, "just the usual insults; tomorrow's my last day so I can deal with it". She looked at me and hugged me, " it's not true, you know that...even though I and your mom weren't true mates; we made the decision that we both wanted you" she repeated the same line she always does with the same absolute sincerity she always has. I gave in and hugged her, "I know dad".
—————————————————————————
I gasped as I jumped up into a sitting position in bed, after talking to my dad we had sundaes and went to bed. I squinted as the sun slipped through my curtains. Glancing at my alarm clock I noticed it was way past time for school but I wasn't worried, dad said I didn't have to go today and I had no intention to go back to that hell on earth. I laid back down and sighed, my stomach wouldn't stop aching. The pit in my stomach grew no matter how much I ate and the hunger wouldn't settle down.....the sooner I find my mate the better.
------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading! Finally, the sequel of Reese and Karta's stories has begun! Please let me know your thoughts and what you want to see in the following chapters!
~Onyxicea