•Chapter 4: Old Ties

Third Person POV
Kylan had been staying with his gran and gramps for a month when he finally got a letter from his mom asking him to return to the palace for his mate interview. He scoffed at the perfectly pink letter she sent, "she literally has a phone why couldn't she just text" he muttered to himself as he threw the letter in the trash and sat on the porch bench. This past month he hadn't had much luck finding his mate, what did he expect it's not like it was the mating festival. No one in the pack was his mate and no one in the nearby towns either. He wondered if his father's fate would become his own. His dad didn't find his mate until he was older so why would he? Even gran didn't find his mate until he was 34. He groaned as he thought about his mother forcing some elven princess down his throat to 'keep the bloodline pure'.
"You seem to be having some sort of crisis" an unfamiliar voice mused as she watched Kylan tussle with his thoughts.
"You don't know the half of it" he mumbled and sighed again. "You're not pack, are you here to see Alpha Haidel?" Kylan asked politely. The woman though unknown was clearly older than him and by her height he could tell she wasn't human.
"Ah yes, Haidel and Karta I'm looking for..." she spoke softly and smiled. Kylan blushed, she seemed nice and he's not immune to her beauty. He found her...familiar. He nodded and opened the front door, "Gran!! Someone is here to see you and Gramps!" He hollered in and closed the door again.
"They'll be down soon" he assured the woman, "I'm Kylan" he smiled and outstretched his hand to her. She smiled and took his hand, "Melody Sain; I knew your father, Delta" she smiled again but sadly.
Kylan looked at her, "oh..were you friends ?"
"Ah yea; our parents—your gran and my mom had a weird relationship and we were born the same day" she chuckled.
"You kids were trouble from the moment we gave birth" Karta cut in as he and Haidel came to the front porch.
"Auntie it's so nice to see you...it's been so long" Melody said as she hugged Karta.
"It's nice to see you too Melly, what brings you here? Running from Vimen and his lectures ?" Karta joked and everyone except the clueless Kylan laughed.
Melody cleared her throat, "no actually, dad sent me to request your pack's help—something about you returning a favor ?" Karta's demeanor turned serious as he glanced at Haidel, "what's wrong Melody?"
"My sister, Sal...her mate kidnapped her; she was already mated to a chosen mate and had a child"
Everyone went silent, processing everything until Karta spoke, "of course...uhm Haidel we can spare a few trackers and soldiers, I'll go as representative...Kylan want to come with me? It's a different city; you might find your mate?"
Karta smiled as Haidel made some calls to arrange it; Kylan nodded, "thanks Gran, at least I'll have one last chance before the interview"
—————————————————
"I thought there were laws in place to prevent this from happening" Reese grumbled as he angrily chopped ingredients.
"There are, but you should know better than anyone that some people get past the law" Vimen replied as he mixed the sauce. "Chosen mates aren't accepted that well either" Harper chimed in as he laid on his arm at the island counter.
Reese bit his lip and handed Vimen the ingredients, "I want Karta to get here already, he can help us find Sal right ?" Vimen squeezed the back on Reese's neck to calm him, "If anyone can, it's us four don't worry...too much" he sighed knowing his mate won't rest until Salsa was home.
Harper listened to them talk as Darla circled his feet, he was tired and supplemental energy could only do so much. If he didn't find his mate soon he would have to go to as his new found grandfather would call it, "a brothel garden" where young incubi and succubi go for safe nutrition. There's no getting away from the kind of nutrition they need so it was created to prevent unwanted mating.
"When will Karta get here ?" Vimen asked as he finished the sauce. Reese glanced at his phone, "He said 7pm and it's 7pm now so any minute" he sighed and washed his hands. Harper watched his grandparents finish the food and pick up any speck of dust they could find. He felt like he was intruding, he never met his mom and until recently he thought she abandoned him so it's not like he could get over that right away. He picked up Darla and walked over to the sofa and sat down. Darla meowed in complaint but curled up on his lap nonetheless.
A knock on the door startled Harper, swiftly the door opened to reveal a tall man with black hair and green eyes that faded to pink; his hair was cut in a way that framed his face but was shorter in the back.
"Leave it to Karta to just walk in" Vimen huffed and Karta laughed, "hey I knocked didn't I?" He said as he dropped his luggage in front of the second guest room.
"My grandson is coming later; he's scoping the human town for his mate"
Reese hugged Karta, "it would've been nice to see you under better circumstances but I'm grateful you came to help"
"Always" Karta smiled slightly and pat Reese's head, no longer the scared little human he was when they first met.
"This is Harper, Salsa's child with her chosen mate" Reese announced as he gestured to Harper who was nervous as a newborn cat. "Hi.." he said in response holding Darla closer to him. "it's lucky she had a kid, we can use blood magic to track her. It works best with direct offspring" Karta smiled, "don't worry Reese, we'll find her".

—————————————————-
Hello, thank you for reading! I am so sorry it's updated so late, everyone knows with what's going on everyone is very busy. So I appreciate the patience, I know this chapter is a filler, The more interesting stuff is coming soon. Thank you again and let me know how you like it in the comments or by voting.
~Onyxicea