•Chapter 8: Choices

*unedited*
Third Person POV
"Mating is a very important subject for today's class, soulmates were a thing of fiction before supernaturals revealed themselves. With the annual mating festival, the chances of finding your mate has gone from 25% to 75%.
This being the case, dating and marrying someone who's not your mate has significantly decreased and is sometimes stigmatized.

Not only because of the decreased birth rate of chosen mates, but because of mate purity culture. Ironically enough, Children born from chosen mates have increased fertility. Scientist believe the contradiction is evolutionary to sustain species that are less likely to find their mates or be rejected.
These species can range from your typical vampire, demons and the very rare angels."

Harper groaned as he awoke, suddenly dreaming about his high school Genetics and Mating 101 class, was not what he was expecting. Any dream about high school was unwelcome in his opinion. It had been about a week since they left for the city of angels. All six of them stuffed into an RV that extends out when parked.
He yawned quietly and stretched as far as he could before looking out the tiny RV window from his top bunk. They were already driving on the highway, they must have transferred into the human world while he slept. The sky was overbearingly blue. Harper climbed off the top bunk of the bunk bed and Tucked it into the wall.
"Awake Sleepy Head?" Karta chuckled at him as he lounged on the bottom bunk with Darla laying on his lap.
"Yea I guess I slept too long" he said looking at Darla in surprise, who only ever liked him and his father.
Karta smiled and pet Darla in his lap, "it's normal to be tired; you're still figuring out how to regulate your energy intake."  Harper glanced at his pendant and sighed, he had gotten more comfortable with what he needed for food and had been meeting with the same incubus every time. He was embarrassed though, Florian was the same age as him, the only real differences between them being Florian is a full Incubus and Harper is half. Also the fact that Florian grew up knowing what he was, his mother owned the brothel and sex was never seen as 'bad' or 'dirty' simply for nutrients and pleasure. It was part of Florian's care free nature that made Harper feel comfortable.

At least most of the time, they have enough human etiquette to not bring it up. If he never had to talk about sex, with his grandparents, and their friend again, he would be happy.

Karta smiled, he quite liked Reese's grandson. It reminded him of his own children and grandchildren. "It really is surreal when you realize that this is your life" Karta began, "I've had to adjust more than the average person probably but it never gets any easier, I think you're doing well Harper".
Harper blushed and hid under his grown out bangs, "t-thanks"
Bibiana chuckled, and pulled their attention. "Such a cute child, a miraculum"
Harper grabbed a bottle of water from the mini fridge and asked, "Ms...Bibiana, how are you so confident we'll be able to enter the restricted Ark City"
Bibiana nursed her tea and smiled, "please just Bibi, and Ark City will open as long as sanguis angeli is present."
Karta raised his eyebrow, "Blood of an Angel? But Bibi there aren't any angels here and no one has seen one for decades"
Bibiana laughed heartily, "You mean you don't know ? I guess your senses have dulled with age my dear friend...How do you not know when you sit next to the miraculum right now?"
Karta looked at Bibiana and then back at Harper, then back at Bibiana, "is that even possible?"
Bibiana shook her head, "no no, that is why it is miraculum"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it took so long to update, life has been coming at me full force. Please let me know your thoughts and feelings about this chapter ! Thank you !
~Onyxicea❤️