Prologue: Little Prince Misfortune

Church bells could be heard ringing and dinging throughout the kingdom of Nevermore. A strange name for a kingdom is it not? For the queen had just given birth to her first-born child. The child was a healthy baby boy with brown chocolate eyes, a beautiful color really. The king and queen smiled looking down at their son. The two were about to officially announce the new prince and heir to the thrones birth to the whole kingdom.

Stepping out onto the palace balcony which extended its reach for at least town square to see, the king cleared his throat as the woman known as the queen ushered the young prince to stop crying. He was just a newborn so she couldn't be harsh on the child. The kingdoms people were dead silent as the king prepared to speak; a smile laced upon their rulers face as he began speaking, "Subjects of Nevermore, people who disagree with the ways of the crown, travelers, whoever you might be I thank you for coming out here today. I am proud to announce the birth of your new prince and future King of Nevermore." He smiled at his wife and the child her arms before speaking his next sentence. "Prince George Henry Davidson the Third of Nevermore!" What a mouthful to say, honestly. The king grinned as he gestured to the child which was no longer crying in the queen's arms. The crowd erupted in cheers of joy and happiness.

Tis' would be a day of celebration. 

.

.

.

"George! Where are you? It's unfair that you're short compared to me!"

The prince was now five years old. He was hiding in the palace's library. His parents had claimed they were too busy due to an affair with a neighboring kingdom to spend time with George, so he had been playing hide and seek with the child of one of the highest-ranking guards. This was of course under his parents' order. The boy he had been playing with went by the name Wilbur, he and George had seemed to have gotten along rather well. 

A faint giggle had escaped George's lips, he quickly slapped a hand over his mouth in hopes Wilbur didn't hear him. That however would be his downfall. "BOO!" Wilbur exclaimed as he put his hands-on George's shoulders since he had snuck up on the prince. George let out an almost blood-curdling scream. 

In a matter of seconds guards had entered the room separating George from Wilbur. Georges parent's entering the library shortly after being alerted of the two's ruckus. His parents had given the guards a set of orders. Wilbur being dragged out of the room despite the princes cry's to let go of his friend.

That was the last time he saw Wilbur.

.

.

.

"Mother why can't I go to school like the other kids? I'm six years old, Wilbur said this was the age we go to school at." 

A slightly older George asked while pestering his mother with questions. He still refused to believe Wilbur wasn't returning. Wilbur was his first and only friend after all. "George, your birthday was less than a month ago. You will not be going to school those facilities  are filled to the brim with germs. Instead, you will be tutored here in the palace by the finest educators this kingdom has to offer. Now hurry up and find the flowers you wish to have displayed in the castle for the upcoming gala." His mother spook hastily as she was not fond of the outdoors.  

The brunet just smiled and nodded walking a fair space in front of his mother. It was a big day for the prince as he usually wasn't allowed to make decisions as big as this. He stopped and gasped as a flower caught his eyes. "Mother! Look at this yellow flower! I think I'll pick this one- Is something wrong?" His tone changing from excited to confused after seeing the concerned look on his mother's face. "George, honey, that's green."  

A doctor, specifically an optometrist, was called in at once.

George was colorblind.

And mother had chosen roses instead.

.

.

.

[ Trigger Warning: Death ]

George was eight years of age when it happened. His father, the king, had passed.

 The eight-year would be crowned king within a months time unless his mother remarried. She knew George wouldn't be ready to rule, he was still just a boy. "Mother don't cry...I'm still here and I won't leave you!" George forced a smile upon his face as he turned to his mother. It was supper and it felt relatively quiet without the kind-hearted king. He would always light up the room telling George stories about his duties, and being rather flirtatious to his mother despite the fact their son was there. The king had also helped George remember even though he was colorblind, he wasn't any less great. He was truly the greatest king Nevermore had seen.

The queen knew what she had to do.

She sold her happiness for her son to grow up; it was the last time George saw the light in his mothers eyes.

[ Trigger Over ]

.

.

.

George's mother had married the twin brother of the King from kingdom which had been having problems with Nevermore since before he had even been born. 

The man George now called 'father' went by the name Schlatt.

Schlatt was a wicked man with malicious tendencies. He was nothing like George's birth father. In fact, he had made sure George was not to leave the palace grounds, and if he were to go anywhere a guard was report to Schlatt first to see if he was granted permission. Constant house arrest. 

The new king increased taxes, corrupted the kingdoms government system from the shadows, yet somehow...Everyone loved him. It was as if the man had put the whole kingdom in a trance, masked himself to seem like the greatest man alive to him. If only they could see behind the shadows, behind Schlatts façade, maybe then the kingdom would see and come to their senses.

For crying out loud George was sixteen. He could handle himself. It had been like this for eight painful years. The prince despised his life, he would give anything to have been born in a kingdom far past the sea. Somewhere he'd read about in one of the plenty fantasy books Schlatt would call him childish for reading. 

Lord how he wished things could be different, George only felt one thing throughout these days. Numbness. If only someone or something understood, but no one did.

.

.

.

"Pardon me, but did you pay mind to a word I said?"