Chapter Two: A Duffle Bag To His Name

Author's Note: When a name is bolded, italicized, and underlined in this story will be who's point of view you're reading in. I felt this was a better way to change viewpoints. Also for plot convenience George, Nick, Clay, and probably other characters will be a different age than they actually are. In addition, I rarely use first person point-of-view so aha this was a challenge. Okay, that's all. Enjoy the chapter!

I'm also adding these in now so-

Trigger Warnings for the Chapter: Minor use of curse words. 

- - - - - - - - - - 

Nick

I watched in disbelief as my dad threw a bag of my belongings out onto a dead patch of grass outside of our home. "Dad what in the lords name are you doing?" I asked irritated. He told me to retrieve some bread from the nearby bakery, and me being the oh so nice son I am goes and fetches it. What did I even do? 

My blacksmith of a father turned and looked at me, pure rage plastered upon his face. What crawled up his ass and died? "Nick, I told you that you'd be taking over the family business once I pass or am incapable of working. Why in the lords name were there poems littered across your room. Are you seriously thinking of becoming a measly poet? How do you expect to make pay for your future wife and children?!" Shit. I forgot to clean up before leaving for the bakery. "So what? You're just going to kick me out? Mann what a great dad, after I went and bought bread too." I attempted to act smug. He couldn't possibly actually kick me out. Could he? No most likely not.

Dad rolled his eyes and cleared his throat. "I'll simply have your brother take over the business. Goodbye Nick. I had really hoped you would turn out better." Wait he seriously isn't going to kick me out, right? "Hey dad wait!-"

He slammed the door in my face. Does this make me homeless now?

I sighed and directed my attention to the duffle bag stuffed with my belongings. I walked over to it and opened it; taking a quick peek to see what my oh-so-beloved-father left for me. My incomplete poems, some of my clothes, and ten copper coins. "I'm practically broke now! I'm not even grateful about the money. You can't even stay at an inn overnight with the amount he left me!" I grumbled, zipped the bag back up, and slung it over my shoulder. 

At least I got to keep the bread.

.

.

.

I was roaming aimlessly. I had allowed my legs to take me wherever my destiny awaited. It hadn't shocked me that I ended up in the familiar graveyard. It had been at the least a month since I had last visited. No, my mom isn't dead. There's just someone I know who probably misses my company. I could feel faint smile crawl it's way onto my lips.

I knew this graveyard like I knew um...Scratch that I don't know what else. I made my way to a large spruce tree located near the back left of the graveyard. Upon seeing the familiar grave; I plopped down right in front of it. The name on the grave sadly hadn't changed to some strangers name, he was still dead, buried six feet below the Earth. 

Karl Jacobs.

"Hey Karl, how've you been? I'm sorry it's been awhile since we've last spoken. I swear upon the lord themself  though that I've just been busy. I would never actually ignore you! That would just be ridiculous. You are one of my best friends, remember?.."

.

.

.

I had spent all morning speaking to Karl. Everything from my last visit to me getting kicked out- I told him everything. Sighing, I stood up once more. My legs however had gone numb from me sitting in a cross position for a total of somewhere around three hours. If I didn't leave however there's no telling how nightfall would treat me. I needed to find Zak, if I recalled correctly he was planning on leaving Nevermore for a month or so to do some trade in a nearby kingdom. 

"It was nice catching up with you Karl. I don't know when I'll be back next, but stay strong for me, okay? I love you- as a brother from another mother of course." I smiled and took one last glance at the gravestone before making my way to Zak and his family's cottage.

Zak was a great friend to me. We both went to the same grade-school and had grown up together. There were a few other people in our friend group, Karl, and two other boys by the names of Clay and Darryl. They were amazing friends. It was sad when their families had both moved to different kingdoms once the old king fell ill. Was Nevermore really that horrid? I mean, I've never seen a problem with the kingdom- Minus my dad that is.

 I smiled, freedom couldn't be all that bad though. It just means I have to work harder than some others now. Poetry is a passion of mine, Karl had gotten me into it. I would never drop it. I will make my dead- No he's still here with me. I'll make Karl proud and prove my dad wrong.

"Fire and brimstones fell upon my ears.." I contemplated before continuing.

"As their throats of open graves had recited with nothing but fear." I don't know what I'm doing.

"Like bullets of a gun they drove my brain to tears." My walk turned into a slight jog.

"And my feet they run the hell out of here." I smiled feeling as a weight be lifted from my mind.

"See, I was born a restless, wayward child." Flashbacks to me and Clay's 'harmless' pranks flooded my mind.

"I can hear the whole world calling me outside." My jog had turned into a sprint.

"And Lord, I have to see it with my own eyes!" 

"Someone's feeling quite musical today, also look out for the-" Before I could process what I was doing I ran into a tree. "-Tree" A familiar voice awkwardly finished speaking, pulling me back into the real world. I already made it to Zaks? Damn I'm fast.

"Didja need something man? Aaaand what's with the duffle-bag? You like homeless or something now Nick?" I rapidly nodded my head and smiled smugly. "I was kicked out because dad didn't approve of me being a poet like at all. Shitty father, yes I am fully aware of that fact. Anyways, you don't mind me catching a ride with you to whatever kingdom you're going too, right? Okay you don't mind great! When are we leaving?"

Zak starred at me in disbelief. It was obvious he originally assumed I was joking, however it soon became clear to him I most certainly was not. Sighing, Zak ushered me inside his family's home. I was thankful to have him as a friend. I would be lost without this partially chaotic man. 

"We leave tomorrow at dawn."

.

.

.