Chapter One: Grounds of Death

Sighing, the prince, better known as George, was staring blankly at the fountain before him. For the prince was in the palace gardens, one of the only places he felt as if there was nothing wrong in the world. It was just him and his maze of plants ranging from the smallest clover all the way to the largest spruce tree.

To be blunt. The seventeen year-old loathed his life. George would give anything to have been born in another kingdom seas away. He wouldn't mind being born in another era either if he were being honest. His so called 'father' had corrupted his home, his kingdom, far beyond a simple repair. Nevermore was corrupted fully within it's government, yet it was hidden well enough in the shadows to the point no citizen batted an eye or spoke up on the matter.

'Schlatt thinks I'll call him father? He believes he can wrap me around his finger and raise me to be a man like him? Dear heavens he's out of his mind. If only he could simply perish. Drop dead right before my eyes- Actually, no that'd be pathetic. I'd rather him die before the kingdom and have all his horrid acts exposed to the public. Honestly am I the only one that believes-'

"Pardon me, but did you pay mind to a word I said?"

.

.

.

That was certainly a way to knock the prince out of his thoughts.

George swiftly turned his head in the direction of the voice. It sounded rather familiar, so the prince wasn't startled. His blank expression changed from a blank one to a look of confusion noticing the knight standing before him.

It was Philza.

His childhood friend Wilbur's father.

Schlatts personal knight.

The man had served Nevermore ever since he was a young lad.

"Philza? May I ask what you're doing here, usually you're busy escorting Schla- Father places. It's rare to see you out without any duties." George quickly spoke failing to hide the obvious shock in his voice. "George it's quite alright. I know you don't see his highness as a father figure and never will." The blond replied keeping the formality as he spoke just in case there were any rats hoping to get dirt on his name.

George was about to  say something but was quickly cut off by Philza. "His highness has ordered me to escort you safely to the execution grounds. There's been some discord within the court these past few days you haven't been aware of." Philza said gesturing for George to follow him. Time waits for no one, not even royalty.

The young prince tilted his head subconsciously as he followed the knight before him. "I'm never needed at the execution grounds? Sch- Father forbid me from witnessing any executions and I would never willingly want to witness the life leave someone's eyes. No one is truly awful. They're all just misunderstood. In addition..." George had started mumbling his thoughts aloud to no one but himself. Philza had payed mind to the boys words but quickly returned his attention to escorting George.

.

.

.

The execution grounds were nothing like the prince had expected. It was built where there was a large viewer area peering down onto an arena like area; It was filled to the brim with multiple devices George wished not to know how they had operated. The whole place reeked of death. It was utterly disgusting.