Chapter Twenty-Eight: Nightmares

Mason and I are still kissing when the rest of the dorm comes back downstairs, creating an awkward tension in the air. It's 12:30, so Maggie gets up to make the dorm some mac n' cheese. When she's finished cooking, I disappear upstairs to talk to Callie.

"Hi Cami," she says when she answers the Skype call. I notice she has a friend over.

"Hey guys. Uh, Callie, can you bring your laptop to Mom?" I ask. She nods and carries her laptop downstairs. Mom's face appears on screen and she shoos Cal and her friend back upstairs.

"Hello, Cameron," Mom answers. "What's wrong dear? You look awfully ill."

"Mom, I know it's only been about three hours since you dropped me off, but I have some news that is very important for you to know."

"Go ahead honey, no one's around."

"Mom, I have an eating disorder," I confess, tears streaming down my face. Mom gasps and covers her mouth with her hand.

"I'm so sorry that I didn't realize before," I stutter, tripping on my words. "I was just so stressed out by being separated from my friends and changing my habits so quickly, I just stopped." My voice gets louder.

"Cameron, honey, calm down," Mom says. "I'm not angry, just slightly shocked. I'm going to let you stay at the academy, just please, try and recover from it."

I agree and say bye to her, hanging up the call. Just then, I hear a light knock at my door. "Come in!" I shout. Mason slowly opens the door and I stand up.

"Did you eat?" he asks, his hazel eyes soft and warm.

"No," I mumble, moving to sit on my bed. Mason sits next to me.

"You should try to eat something," he says as I lean my head against his shoulder.

"I'm not hungry," I mumble. "Sorry."

"Cam, don't appologize," he says, putting his arm around me. "You don't have to be sorry for anything. It's not your fault."

"Yes it is," I say, getting up. "I'm gonna go on a ride." Not bothering to change into riding clothes, I rush to the barn and put Raquel's bridle on. I easily mount her and we take off to the arenas and do our usual routine. It has made us stronger together, and it has strengthened me. It has also made Raquel's gallop faster and she has more stamina.

~

After a long work time, I bring Raquel back to the barn and I head back to the dorm. I'm exhausted, and it's about 7:30. I grab a small apple and eat it on my way up to my room. I change into pajamas, brush my teeth, and go to bed.

I have a dream that I'm walking downstairs in the dorms, and when I walk into the kitchen, everyone's sitting on the couch and at the counter.

"Why, Cami?" Mason asks. "I thought you were stronger than this. But no! You're weak!"

"You gave up, Cam!" Reagan yells at me from behind me.

"How could you be so ignorant?" Alex asks, giving me a disgusted face.

"It's gross!" Abby shreiks. "Just be normal and everything will be fine!"
___
I wake with a start and I let out a cry. My forehead's covered with sweat and I'm breathing heavily. I get up and quietly open the door, creeping downstairs to get water from the fridge.
I sit on the counter nervously, alone in my thoughts. What if people actually think that about me? What if they completely reject me? My thoughts get interrupted by Mason walking into the kitchen.

"I heard you get up," he says. "What's wrong?" That seems to be the only question he ever asks me.

"I had a nightmare," I say, shivering as I remember the look of hate on everyone's faces. "I don't think I can go back to sleep."

"Sleep with me," Mason says. "I'll protect you." I nod and follow him upstairs. He leads me to his room and hops into his bed. I follow him, cuddling into his side to get his warmth. He protectively puts an arm around me as I drift off to sleep.

~

I wake up to Mason kissing me on my forehead. My eyes flutter open and I look up, my eyes locking with his.

"You slept well," he says.

"Yeah," I say pushing myself closer into him. "I don't want to get up."

"You don't have to," Mason says. "It's still vacation."

I turn and burrow my face into his chest, taking in the scent of Axe. "I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too," he whispers back into my hair. I look up and kiss him, not a care in the world. I don't think about horses, my family, school, or my stupid diagnosis. I just think about Mason. He momentarily pauses the kiss. "You're the strongest, most beautiful person I know. You can make it through this," he whispers, kissing me again. We lie there kissing for a few moments before I hear people waking up and heading downstairs.

"We should probably get up," I say.

"Just a few more minutes," he pleads, pulling me closer. We lie there in silence, perfectly content with each others presence. We eventually get up at eight thirty, twenty minutes after everyone else got up. We walk down to the kitchen, hand in hand. Someone, I think Michael, whistles.

"Ooh, Mason's getting some," he teases and laughs. I blush and look down.

"Michael, shut up. You have no idea what they're going through, so be quiet before I knock you out," Maggie threatens. "Just stop."

"Geez, it was a joke," Michael replies.

"Yeah, well Cami is dealing with something more difficult to deal with than anything you will ever experience," Mason says, squeezing my hand. He leans down and whispers in my ear. "I'm gonna make toast, want a slice?"

"I'm all set," I say, feeling guilty when I see the disappointed look on his face. I sigh and go sit next to Maggie.

"What's your secret, Cami?" Felicity asks.

"I don't want to talk about it," I reply. Fed up with the pressure, I go upstairs and change into black leggings, black combat boots, and a gray sweater with roses on the front. I throw my hair into a messy bun and put my glasses on. I go back downstairs and sit on the couch next to Maggie.

"Guys, Reagans here," Mason says as he peers out of the window. I jump up and run outside, giving Reagan a big hug.

"Ugh, I missed you so much!" I say, pulling away. Maggie follows behind me.

"Rea, you missed a big event," Maggie says, smiling.

"What happened?"

"Cami slept with Mason," Maggie sings and I clamp my hand over her mouth.

"Wait... like slept slept or like... other slept?" Reagan asks, laughing.

"I had a nightmare so I got some water and Mason invited me to sleep with him," I say. "So, I did."

"Hey, your boyfriends here," Maggie says, pointing behind Reagan. Rea turns around and runs to Sam, hugging him tight and kissing him. We all laugh.

~

By three, everyone is here. Right now, Reagan, Maggie, Alex, and I are sitting on the balcony together.

"So, I know it's going to be difficult for Cami to say this, so I'll say it for her," Maggie says, and she continues to explain the ED to Reagan and Alex. They both hug me and I thank them, grateful that they don't hate me for it. After we talk for a while, we head back down to the living room.