Chapter 8

"Where were you?" I heard Isaiah as soon as I entered our tent. I gulped seeing him awake I hope he hadn't seen the hug.

"Just out, taking a breather. Nice weather we've got outside." I tried laughing but it came out too awkward.

"Don't kid me, who else was there with you? Because I know very well that you won't be out for so long on your own." He said eyeing me warily.

"N-No one -" He interrupted me with a stern glare.

"No lying, Aliyah. I always know when you lie." He was right, there wasn't a time when I got away with a lie on Isaiah's watch. His observation skills were too good for anybody to get away. He could be the next Sherlock, so I knew there was nothing that could save me.

"Okay, it was Noah." I closed my eyes anticipating his reaction

"I hope you both were being safe at least."

"What?" I opened my eyes shocked and saw him laughing.

"Well, I just meant that I hope you both didn't wander off far, it's not that safe." He said with a smirk.

"My, did I just see Isaiah trying humor."

"Yeah, whatever but I think Chris wouldn't like what you just did." He pointed out and I knew he was right. There was no way I would ever tell him that and for one thing I know Isaiah isn't a snitch.

Isaiah went back to sleep and as I rested inside my sleeping bag, I could not help but let calmness wash over me and I fell in a deep slumber.

Next day, we decided to go home early, the car was really silent on the way back. No one dared to talk about Maverick's move because we knew no discussion about it would be without anger and tears, and that was not something we were looking forward to.

As soon as we reached, I went to my room, not giving anybody a chance to speak. I heard Chris calling behind me but I told him that I was tired, which wasn't entirely a lie. I slept for almost the whole afternoon as did everybody else because there is no such sleep as one gets on their own bed.

I woke up to a knock on my door, I opened the door to see Ezekiel standing there with a small smile which didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Chris has called everyone downstairs, we need to talk."

I nodded and told him I would be there in a few minutes. I sat on my bed, took a few deep breaths, willing myself to not cry at the thought of the talk that was to come, it would be hard but it was unavoidable.

As I reached downstairs, I saw all my brothers already seated. I looked at them uneasily, this conversation was going to be hard.

"Take a seat, Liyah." I straightened up at Chris's voice, I didn't even realize that I was standing awkwardly, looking at the floor. I sat between Isaiah and Ezekiel on the couch. Ezekiel kept a comforting hand on my knee and gave a calming smile.

I looked up to see Maverick already staring at me blankly, he averted his gaze when he saw me looking. I knew he was still salty about my outburst yesterday which ruined his birthday trip. We sat in an uncomfortable silence for what felt like hours until Isaiah, surprisingly, broke it.

"So, you are moving out?" His tone sharp and clear, it wasn't soft or broken like yesterday. It seemed like he came in terms to the fact that Maverick was moving out, in just a night. I saw closely to see if it was a mask but I couldn't find a crack, this Isaiah was familiar, this was same as the one from four years back. Who didn't shed tears for more than a night after his parent's death, who almost stopped showing his emotions at the age of thirteen.