Chapter 10

"Who is your favourite brother, Aliyah?" Mom asked, holding a recording camera in her hand, following me towards the living with a wide smile.

"It's Maverick, Ma." I said giggling as I saw Chris glaring at me from the couch.

"And why is that, Liyah?" Mom asked laughing as she gave Chris a playful shove.

"He gave me a piggy back ride and also gave me a extra cookie today."

"Yes! that's my strong opinionated girl." Mom cheered from behind the camera.

"Mom, she is just five, she doesn't know a thing about opinion, all she knows is bribe." Chris said rolling his eyes.

"Why Christopher Monroe, are you jealous?" Mom asked squinting her eyes teasingly.

"Jealous?" Chris scoffed. "Jealous of a little boy, no way"

"Now, now, Christopher, you don't lie to your own mother. I am your Mom and I know when you lie. You secretly want to be Aliyah's favourite brother, we all see it little boy." Mom said ruffling Chris's brown hair, which he had inherited from her.

"I am not little." Chris said clearly irritated.

"Yes you are." She said leaving Chris and me alone in the living room. I looked at Chris with my scared eyes. I knew what was coming.

He got up and before he could take a step I made a dash but my little legs could only run that fast so before I could think I was swung upon his shoulder.

"There, there, little monkey, where do you think you are going? Huh?" He asked looking at me in the eyes.

"No where." I said laughing as he started ticking me on my neck.

"No where? So tell me again who is your favourite brother?" He asked, he stopped tickling as he looked at me trying to sound serious.

"Mav-"

"Nope, wrong answer, try again." He said clicking his tongue and wiggling his fingers, warning me of the upcoming tickle.

"It's Zay-Zay."

"No, you didn't, tell me you didn't just do that, you little cheeky monkey!" Chris swung me upside down on his shoulder.

"No, Chris, stop." I giggled, he didn't budge.

"Chris"

"Chris"

"Liyah," I tried opening my eyes and through my blurry vision I saw Chris sitting on a chair. As I looked around I saw the insipid white walls and realized I was in a hospital.

As my vision cleared, I saw Chris, his tired eyes looking at me with worry, his hair disheveled, his hand was running through my hair and the other one held mine.

"How are you feeling?" He asked after a while, he looked unsure about his question as if he knew the answer. A person lying on a hospital bed would definitely not feel that great.

I looked at him knowing I couldn't lie to that face.

"I have a headache."

He nodded, "The doctor will be here soon."

I looked at my hand, an IV was attached to my hand, I internally cringed, something going inside my skin scared me a lot.

"How long have I been here for?" I asked, I hoped that it wasn't a day or something.

"We brought you almost 4 hours ago, you opened your eyes for a few seconds in the car but passed out almost immediately and let me tell you Maverick was so scared that he almost threw up." He said, there was no hint of humour in his last sentence. Maverick wasn't the only one scared, I could see through behind his cover.