Chapter 19

We reached back home late at night. The door was ajar and as we stepped inside, Chris was waiting for us near the foyer. His arms crossed across his chest, feet tapping impatiently.

"I thought you both killed each other." I heard Ezekiel as soon as we stepped inside, he was sitting on the couch, sipping a beer. I wasn't surprised seeing the long day they had.

"That wouldn't have come off as a surprise seeing how these two have been fighting lately," Chris said sounding a bit bitter. He had always thought that our fight was stupid. "So, are you guys fine now?" He asked raising his eyebrows.

"Come on Chris, is that even a question now? Can't you see she has Mav's hoodie on and he has a fucking smile? Wipe it off man, you look stupid." Isaiah growled the last part. I see someone is a little jealous.

"Whatever bro, you are stupid," Maverick said smacking Isaiah's head and sitting beside him.

"You should have just told me you would like a hug Zay-Zay, why are you being mean? Though, I am done with today's hug quota. Better luck next time." I said flicking his forehead with my finger, knowing perfectly well how it annoyed him.

I made sure I sat nowhere near Isaiah after that. Ezekiel kept the beer can away as he saw me approaching him. I slumped beside him and he pulled me closer. He is the only one I never mind hugging and maybe Chris too.

"Don't ever do that again and never call me that again," Isaiah grumbled rubbing his forehead. I rolled my eyes and he muttered something incoherent under his breath

"We just went to the Riverside," I told them, specifically Chris, he looked the most worried amongst them all. I wasn't sure if it was because of us or the earlier encounter with our Grandfather. When his frown did not subside, I ascertained it was because of the old weasel.

"Did the cops come? What happened after that?" I asked Chris.

"They escorted him out not so politely and we might have the restraining order by tomorrow, today's encounter will speed up the process. The cops saw how he was up for nothing but trouble for us." Ezekiel answered for Chris and I sighed in relief but my confusion deepened when I saw Chris's distress.

"I am sorry, you had to see that. I know I promised I would keep him away but I failed. I saw how he was hurting you all by his words but I couldn't do much about it." He said his eyes swarming in guilt and it made me feel terrible.

"You tried, Chris. That is enough for me. He hurt you too, if anything, he should be sorry not you." I said placidly, he looked at me with a small smile that did not reach his eyes.

"It's not your fault, Chris. Stop blaming yourself, he is a brainless fool, you couldn't do anything about it. I am glad he'll stay away from our lives now, he dug his own grave by coming here." Isaiah said, always the one with wise words. I wish he is buried in the grave too. I never want to see his face again.

"They are right, Chris," Both Ezekiel and Maverick agreed with us. Chris nodded, visibly relieved that we weren't angry at him. He shouldn't feel like that though, and I found it to be partly my mistake because I made him make that promise.

"Do you guys want ice cream?" I asked them, it would lift all of our moods. It's the medicine we all need.

"Yeah, I don't mind," Isaiah muttered. I wonder if he can be more enthusiastic than this.

"I would love that," Maverick said grinning. This question wasn't even directed towards him, I already knew his answer.

"No, I am fine and I don't think you should have it too, Aliyah. You need to be careful about what you eat." Ezekiel said shattering my hopes.