Chapter 6

Maverick's birthday was finally here and he was jumping like a kid, to say that we were annoyed would be an understatement. I looked at him sauntering towards Chris again, I pressed my hands against my mouth to suppress a laughter.

"So, dear brother, what did you get me for my birthday? Your secrecy is seriously killing me. I don't want to die on my birthday." He said dramatically keeping his hand on his chest falling back a little.

"You will if you don't shut your mouth. I am seriously this close to putting this knife through your heart. Just go and sit down and stop running and jumping around like a fucking kid." Chris sneered, his hands holding the butter knife.

"Jeez, you need to calm down. It's my birthday after all and in my defense I am experiencing a sugar rush." Maverick said backing off and coming towards me.

"I wish your brain would grow up too, 21 years old body but a 5 year old brain." I heard Chris muttering from behind as he gave me my hot chocolate, I smiled gratefully at him and he ruffled my hair.

Maverick slumped beside me taking the hot chocolate and gulping it down half. I snatched it angrily. I looked at Chris with my puppy face and he chuckled.

"I knew this would happen, I made some more for you."

"I love you so much, you are like the best brother ever." I said smiling widely.

"You are the best brother ever, kiss ass. You call me a kid, look at her, doesn't look a day older than 10."

"Atleast I am still older than your 5 year old brain and you are jealous."

"I am not jealous. Why would I be? You are being so full of yourself, I just meant that you are kissing up his ass unnecessarily, he would give you anything before you even breathe."

"You don't even know how jealous you sound right now and did you forget already Chris is planning something big for you." I argued back, he was being really stupid and childish.

"Hey kids! Before you both continue your banter, I am going out. Please refrain from killing each other." Chris said taking his keys and leaving us together.

"Okay Grandpa!" Maverick and I called out before he left.

"So little Ali, tell me what has Chris planned for me on my birthday now that I know that you know." Maverick said nudging my shoulder with his, with a silly smile plastered on his face. He has worse mood swings than teenagers.

I gave him a fake smile which looked more like a grimace and said, "No,"

"Why sister? You hurt me thoroughly." He said dramatically placing his hand on his chest.

"Should have thought about getting hurt before taking my hot chocolate and arguing unnecessarily. If you hadn't I might have told you." I said smiling wickedly. I love riling them up like this and Maverick gets into my trap more than any of my brothers.

"You are being so unkind to the birthday boy." He said pouting a little.

"Technically it's not your birthday yet. You still have a few hours left." I said as I looked at the clock to see it was quarter to nine. We planned on cutting the cake at midnight and telling him about Chris's surprise. We were leaving tomorrow, though much to my dismay.

"Okay fine! Don't tell me about Chris's surprise what about yours? I know you always have something planned." He said, wiggling his eyebrows funnily.

"Look at you being so shameless about asking for gifts and I am so tempted to throw off your gift from the terrace." He was testing my patience and it was so hard for me to keep secrets and my struggle was hidden by anger even Maverick knew that.