Chapter Five

Jeff found his job as a Med-Jack.

Even though Jeff was now there to help Clint out with the many injuries of the Glade, Clara still felt a need to aid the pair in their work, knowing well enough that the workload they got was more than enough for two people. And putting that aside, she enjoyed being able to stay in one place for a while instead of only darting about to check on people.

Shortly after his arrival, the three rules of the Glade were established and firmly told to everyone in the Glade. Nick made it crystal clear that if anyone broke any of the rules, they would be severely punished. Clara just wasn't sure how they'd be punished, but was hoping she'd never have to worry about that.

The first rule was the easiest, seeing as everyone already conformed to it happily. It was to never leave the Glade, with the exception of the Runners. This was enforced after the next Greenie ran out into the Maze, never to be seen again, only making their suspicions about getting stuck in the Maze increase. No one else wanted to leave the Glade, and so they wouldn't have to switch anything in their routines around to stick to this rule.

Their second rule was simple, and by far the most important one they had: Never hurt another Glader. It was obvious in a society like this; they had to stay onside with one another to keep it functioning well. Otherwise, they'd end up re-enacting the Lord of the Flies, which - if Clara concentrated really hard - she knew to be a book that ended really badly.

And their last was one directly from Nick's grumbling lips. Everyone had to pull their weight. It was only fair that everyone tried their hardest, and no one wanted to face Nick's wrath if they didn't. The boy could be really scary when he wanted to be.

Clara greeted each of the Runners that came in from the Maze. Last to arrive were Nick and George. Always running partners, they usually came jogging in with smiles on their faces, chatting away about something stupid.

Today was quite different.

George had slowed to a walk, ahead of Nick who trailed behind even more slowly, seemingly deep in thought. George had his eyes fixed on the ground while he muttered to himself incoherently. Clara attempted to greet the first boy, but he breezed past her, refusing to acknowledge her presence.

She shut her open mouth, her lips settling in a frown as the leader came to a stop beside her. They both watched the strange acting Runner for a moment, before Clara turned to him to ask the inevitable question.

"What's up with him?"

Nick's expression darkened, and he reached for the girl's arm, to pull her out of earshot of any of the other Gladers. The boy looked skittish, and he glanced around them both before turning back to answer.

"When we were out in the Maze, George went ahead of me down some corridor, while I was exploring something else. I heard these strange sounds, like mechanical clicking or something, and then George screaming."

"Shuck, is he hurt?"

Nick shook his head, and Clara's confusion only increased tenfold. The boy paused, biting his lip, and this led her to realise that something strange had occurred: something out in the Maze that they hadn't been made aware of yet.

"When I caught up to him, he was alone, and he kept mumbling about being stung or something? I couldn't see anything wrong with him, but I could barely get a word out of him. He's been acting weirdly since."

"Do you think he saw something then?" Clara pondered, continuing, "Out in the Maze? Something that we haven't seen yet?"

Nick could only shrug, his hands going up to tangle in his hair as he sighed in exasperation. The girl felt panicked now.