Chapter Twenty Seven

They saved Thomas with the syringe.

Unlike any of the Gladers Clara had seen before, Thomas had none of the struggle that usually came with the Changing. It's because he had the mysterious serum straight away, of course, and it was an odd change for the Gladers.

Thomas simply just slept, and no one had to worry for him. It was a strange but relaxing difference to the usual Stings.

When light broke in the Glade that next morning, no one was really sure of what would happen. Thomas was being kept in the Med-jack hut, where Clara was currently watching over him.

She assumed that Newt was busy giving some motivational speech to all the Gladers about how they could push on through and continue trying to find a way out of the Maze. She also assumed that everyone was finishing cleaning up the mess left of the Glade; which she should've been helping with, but instead, she was watching Thomas.

She was nervous.

Thomas already seemed to know more than them without the Changing, so what would he find out after going through it? She had to know as soon as possible. And considering Alby woke up fairly quickly after his dose of the Serum, it couldn't be too long for Thomas.

Her sense of peace was quickly interrupted by the last person she expected to see. Gally.

He was accompanied by two Builders, both of whom looked rather intimidating and serious. For a moment, Clara was nervous something bad had happened, but then she recognised the look in Gally's eyes. He looked amused.

"Can I help you?" She asked patiently, suspiciously watching the boy.

Gally looked to either one of the Builders, nodding stiffly, not responding to the girl. She got up from her seat, her heart picking up in pace as the two boys approached the bedside.

Gally moved to block her from the others' way, and she failed in trying to push past him to reach Thomas. She was receiving no answers, and no words at all in reply.

"Gally what are you doing?"

Clara's fury only increased when Gally continued to not answer her, instead only ensured his Builders picked Thomas up from the bed and began to carry him out of the room. It took the girl punching him in the shoulder to finally get a response.

"What the shuck are you doing?"

For a brief moment, Gally looked quite terrified by her. And then, his expression hardened, and the usual wall he put up as a defence was back.

"I'm taking control."

His look was serious, but Clara found it laughable. She chuckled lightly, but when Gally's expression didn't crack, she stopped immediately.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Thomas is ruining this place. I'm gonna get it back to normal, I'm the only one who can do that!"

Gally is delusional.

"Alby's gone, so Newt is our leader now." Clara said firmly, but Gally only scoffed.

"Newt can't handle it."

With that, Gally marched from the room, and Clara remembered that his Builders had taken Thomas with them. She followed quickly, scanning the Glade and spotting a still unconscious Thomas being locked in the Slammer.

"Why are you locking him up?" She asked in pure frustration.

"I can't trust Thomas not to go out there again. It's a precaution." Gally glanced to her quickly, gauging her anger. "I'll put you in there too if I have to."