Chapter Thirty One

"It's called the Maze Trials." 

A boy, about fourteen, had finished explaining the Trials to the girl. He looked suspiciously like Thomas: with the same dark hair, curious eyes, and sharp facial features. 

Clara shifted in her seat. She was sitting on a bed in a small simple room; the walls beige and bare, a bedside table hugging the bed pushed up against the wall, and a desk with a spinning chair where 'Thomas' was sat.

"Come on, Clara."

He is Thomas.

The girl laughed then, watching Thomas with an amused expression, as he stared at her expectantly. She threw her hands up, leaning forwards.

"What do you want me to say? Like you said, I'm not even going in the Maze. I mean, I'm a little annoyed that Newt, Minho, Gally, and Alby are all going. How long till we see them again?"

Thomas shrugged, getting up from his chair and sitting himself beside her on the bed. He dangled his legs over the edge, shuffling backwards so his back was pressed against the wall just like her.

"I don't know. Depends how long it takes them to find a way out."

They settled into silence for a few moments then, and Clara was oblivious to Thomas trying to shift closer to her so their arms were brushing one another's. The boy was glancing down from their almost touching hands and back up to her eyes continually.

"I don't know about this." She blurted out then, meeting his confused eyes. "It seems weird. I don't think this is a good idea, Thomas."

He faltered, letting his head hit the wall behind him, and staring directly at the one opposite him. Before this conversation, he had been all for the Maze Trials. But now he learnt she was sceptical, so was he.

But he had been working on the Maze for so long. So many days he spent slaving away alongside Teresa, and Ava Paige - his favourite WCKD doctor whom Clara hated, but it was mutual - planning out the Maze perfectly. It was too late for him to turn his back on it.

"Clara, I promise you," He let his hand lay over hers. "WCKD is good."

Upon waking, Clara nearly whacked her head on the top of the bunk. She was startled from the odd dream she had about Thomas and the Maze Trials.

It wasn't a dream, though. And Clara knew that. But she only had one question on her mind.

Did WCKD change their mind about sending her into the Maze, or was Thomas being lied to?

The door to her room clicked open then, and she shuffled out of bed startled. Janson stood in the doorway, slightly distracted and beckoned to her with his hand.

"Time for breakfast."

He left her room to let her change, and once she was done, she followed him back through the path he led her down yesterday. She counted the vents once again to make sure she knew the path perfectly, but they never got to the end of it.

Instead, Janson veered off in another direction.

Clara stayed glued to the spot for a few moments, blinking at him, and wondering where she was being taken. He noticed she had fallen back and smiled in that same creepy way.

"Nothing to worry about, I just have a few questions to ask you."

She found herself in an interrogation room. It was chilly, her arms ridden with goose bumps as she awaited Janson's return with her breakfast.