Chapter Ten

Clara's mood had significantly improved over the next few days. Whether it was Newt's wise words or Nick's kiss that had done the trick - it was definitely Newt - Clara had no idea. But, she didn't really care why she was feeling better, only that she was.

In fact, when Adam slunk into the room sheepishly awaiting a snide remark, Clara only met him with a genuine smile. This just made him uneasy, and caused him to begin overthinking about any ulterior motives she may have.

"What's up?"

He shifted slightly at the question, grateful to see that Clint and Jeff were both busy with other patients so no one could listen in on what he was going to say. Glancing back to the doorway, he wrung his hands together and said,

"Can we talk?"

It was Clara's turn to feel uneasy. Talking could mean a lot of things, but considering it was Adam, the girl was sure that it could only be negative.

She shrugged, supposing that it was worth it to at least see what he wanted, before following him from the room. It was well into the day, and the Med-jacks found themselves with another busy load of clumsy Builders and Slicers. Adam stopped outside the Homestead, eyes darting over Clara's face nervously, before he finally seemed to get over whatever anxiousness he was feeling and said,

"I'm sorry."

I was not expecting that.

The girl refrained from speaking - not wanting to ruin whatever momentum he had summoned within himself to say the words - and instead just posed him a curious glance, as if to wonder what he had to be sorry for.

"I'd been trying to get on your nerves last week because you were annoying me." Upon seeing her raised eyebrows, Adam scrambled to better explain himself. "Not your fault! I was jealous that you seemed to know what you were doing, all the time,  while I felt like a mess."

Clara nodded thoughtfully at his words. She appreciated the fact he was being honest with her. No matter how much of a slinthead he was before, she knew that most boys wouldn't be able to admit what he was admitting.

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have shoved you." She replied, as the ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. "I appreciate you not telling Nick."

He shrugged nonchalantly, and now a real smile had found its way onto his face.

"It's okay. You've got a good shove on you, though."

Clara laughed, gently patting the younger boy's shoulder and deciding they had got to a place where she could joke about things with him. Maybe they could even become friends.

"I could teach you if you want."

Suddenly a voice cut across the Glade, interrupting the strangely peaceful conversation - despite the discussion of violence - that they were sharing.

"Adam!" The boy in question paled considerably, straightening up at the sound of his Keeper's voice yelling to him. "Get back to your work you shank!"

Clara made herself visible to Winston then, ensuring Adam wouldn't get in trouble because of who he was with. Some would call it an abuse of power, but Clara just calls it genius.

"Sorry for keeping him, Winston! He'll be right with you!" She yelled back, to which the Slicer nodded approvingly.

Adam shot her a gracious smile, and left awkwardly, after tripping over his own feet. Since Clara was outside still, she took the opportunity to do her usual round of making sure everyone was doing their work.

The Slicers were slicing away - just as gross as you'd expect - the Gardeners and Track-hoe's peacefully working in the Gardens, and the Cooks cooking up a storm for dinner. She even took the time to visit the Map room - the wooden shack deep in the Deadheads for some unknown reason. And that's when she noticed something quite peculiar.