the beginning of the end- prolouge

Laurie and Jo walk through the woods together, as they've done for years. 

 "Meg married, Amy off to Europe, now that you're a graduate, you'll be off on a long holiday - I'm not good like Beth so I'm angry and restless," Jo tells Laurie.  They continue to walk down a steep hill, Laurie following behind Jo. 

"You don't have to stay here," Laurie tells Jo, while catching up to her.

"Why? Should we run off and join a pirate ship?" she jokes.  He looks at her, and inhales, about to talk. Jo sees his face and immediately knows what is about to happen. Jo's face falls and she begins to panic.  "No, Teddy -- please don't." 

 It's no use Jo; we've got to have it out.. "

"No, no, we don't..."

"I've loved you ever since I've known you Jo -- I couldn't help it, and you've been so good to me -- I've tried to show it but you wouldn't let me; now I'm going to make you hear and give me an answer because I can't go on like this any longer."

Jo backs away from him.  "I wanted to save you from this, I thought, I thought you'd understand."  She waves her hand in disbelief.

Laurie doesn't listen and continues on "I've worked hard to please you, and I gave up billiards and everything you didn't like, I'm happy I did.  And waited and never complained  I figured you'd love me Jo!  Though I'm not half good enough --"

"Yes, you are, you're a great deal too good for me, and I'm so grateful to you and so proud of you, I don't see why I... I can't love you as you want me to," Jo tries to explain while pushing him backwards.

 "You can't? 

Jo helplessly tries to confess. " I can't change the feeling and it would be a lie to say I do when I don't. I'm so sorry, Teddy, so desperately sorry, but I can't help it..."

Laurie backs away from her like she hit him. "I can't love any one else, Jo I only love you"

 "It would be a disaster if we married, we'd be miserable! We both have such quick tempers --"

 "If you loved me Jo, I would be a perfect saint!"

 "I can't - I've tried it and failed"

How come everyone expects it then? -- Grandpa and your family, Jo say you will and let's be happy!"  He reached out his hand. 

"I can't say "Yes" truly so I won't say it at all"

"You'll see that I'm right, eventually, and you'll thank me for it."

 "I'll be hanged if I do" 

 "You'll find some lovely accomplished girl, who will adore you, and make a fine mistress for your fine house. I wouldn't-"

"Yes you would," he tells her.

"Look at me! I'm homely and awkward and odd and you'd be ashamed of me and we would quarrel - we can't help it even now!"  She points at him. 

"I love you Jo."

 "- I'd hate elegant society and you'd hate my scribbling and we would be unhappy-"

"I love you Jo." 

"and wish we hadn't done it and everything will be horrid."

  "Anything more?" He asks?

 "Nothing more -- except that... honestly I don't believe I will ever marry.I'm happy as I am, and love my liberty too well to be in any hurry to give it up."

Laurie shakes his head.  "I don't think so Jo.  You will care for somebody, and you'll love him tremendously, and live and die for him. I know you will, it's your way, and you will."

"and I'll watch."

"Teddy.. " she whispers.

He straightens up and walks away. Jo cries and cries. Her heart is breaking, even though she is the one who broke it.

authors note: next we'll get into the real story.  i just love this scene so much i had to include it.

feel free to leave comments!