four- you have a visitor

Jo had waited a very long time to hear back from Mr. Dashwood.  When she finally received a letter from him, she was disappointed but not surprised by its contents.

Dear Miss March: I have read the chapters you sent, and I have to agree that they aren't very promising. But, please send us more stories of the scandalous variety ,if you have any.

Or, shall I say, your friend can.  My apologies for the joke, I couldn't help it.

Jo re-reads the letter, then crumples it up and tosses it on the floor.  Just as she finishes, she hears Marmee's voice from downstairs.  "Jo! Come down!"

"Coming!" Jo responds.  She lifts up her skirts and rushes down the stairs.  "I'm starving, she adds."  Jo stashes her writing and clomps down the stairs and heads straight for the table, not even looking around her. She sits down and grabs a piece of bread and takes a big bite.

"You might want to wait," Marmee tells her.

"But I'm famished."  She chews on her bread, and doesn't look up.

"Jo, dear, you have a guest," Marmee tells her.  

Jo was confused.  "Oh, but I don't know anyone."  It couldn't be Laurie, Marmee has never been so formal around him.

"I am so sorry to intrude," The guest says, with a quite distinct accent.  Jo recognizes the voice, and her head bolts up.

"It's you."  Jo smiles a bit, but stops soon after.  She was confused why he would come back, especially after the things she had said to him.

"Jo, I hope it is all right, I got your address from Mrs. Kirke -"  He tells her, still standing outside the door.  

Right then, the rest of the family walks in the door.  Jo sees Meg and Amy smiling at Friedrich.  

They all stand in silence for a few seconds, when Jo hears the back door open.  Laurie walks into the room, surprised to see everyone standing at the front door.  

*play the song now*

Laurie has a confused look on his face, and asks "Who are you?"  Amy taps him on the shoulder, signaling for him to be more polite.

Friedrich backs away.   "I'm so sorry to intrude, I was close by and thought I'd, but I'll be going..."  He begins to turn around, when Amy stops him.

"- Please stay! We have more than enough room," Amy tells him, and invites him to step inside.

Laurie looks to Meg, "Can someone tell me who this man is?!"

"I don't want to be a burden."

"It's no burden at all," Meg tells him, while smiling.

Jo is still stunned by the situation, but comes to her senses.  "Yes of course, please."  She gives him a friendly smile."

Laurie reaches out a hand to him.  "I'm Laurie. And who are you?"

"I am Friedrich Bhaer."

Jo decides that she should explain to Laurie.  "We were at the same boarding house together in New York."  Laurie nods and gives him a polite smile.

"Oh JO, he's VERY handsome,"  Hannah says thinking out loud.  Theres a moment of silence, and then the family begins laughing together.

Later that evening, everyone joined at the table for dinner.  Marmee had invited Laurie to stay for dinner and chatter filled the room.  Father and Friedrich especially talk philosophy and religion and politics. Father obviously very much likes him. Jo is glowing with happiness, but also feels a sense of guilt.