Nineteen | No Clue

Ron leans across the table, shoving five potatoes into his mouth just to spit Hermione, who hardly has a quarter of Ron's current course on her plate.

Harry grins at the two, waiting for Hermione to start lecturing Ron on how though the food is limitless, his stomach isn't. It happens almost every night.

Equally, however, every night two more people sit beside Lee and Fred.

His eyes keep darting to the Great Hall entrance, which doesn't go unnoticed by either of his friends.

"They're probably just not hungry," Hermione offers after watching Harry turn around once more.

"Yeah," Ron says after gulping down his beef joint, "George had a massive breakfast, and lunch. Looked knackered, honestly. And Laurel, well, Fred wouldn't just come and eat and laugh about if they'd fallen out. She's like a sister to me and him, you know."

Harry nods. He hasn't known Laurel, or anyone here, that long. He's never had anything close to a sibling, and yet somehow with Laurel it feels like she's been his sister all along, like they knew each other once...

But that's impossible. He's lived with the Dursley's his whole life. Laurel may be familiar, but there's no way they knew each other. From what he's gathered, the Blacks are a high end pureblood family.

Impossible that they'd know each other.

And yet...

"So what are you guys doing for Christmas?" Ron asks suddenly.

Hermione shrugs, "I'll be going home, I suppose. My parents don't really get the owling thing yet. They miss me, though, and I miss them."

Harry looks down at his plate. Missing his parents isn't something he's used to. Missing anyone isn't something he's used to. The Dursley's wrote him a letter a few days ago. Just one.

It said that they'd heard that it's possible to stay a Hogwarts over Christmas, and that they'd rather him do that than come back.

He doesn't mind. If anything, he prefers it. Hogwarts feels like a home, even if he does end up spending a few weeks alone. He can do more research into the mystery. Into Snape - he shudders- and Fluffy, and Nicolas Flamel.

"And you, Harry?"

"Staying here."

"Then it's settled."

Harry looks up with a confused look, "What?"

Ron's eyes widen, "You didn't think I'd leave you alone, did you?"

"Well, er-"

"You can't spend Christmas alone."

Harry feels warmer somehow at this, but he can't help but wonder, "Won't your family miss you?"

Ron scoffs, "Me? They hardly know I exist in the first place. Laurel's going with Fred and George. Ginny'll be with them, Percy will no doubt be locked in his room by Laurel or Fred because he hates both of them and tends to say some pretty rude stuff, Charlie might come home... but not for long. Bill will probably be bungee jumping or something- i don't really know. Mum'll be overloaded with crazy red heads- plus Laurel, but she loves Laurel so it's fine."

Harry smiles, "So you'll really stay?"

Ron beams back, "Of course! We can get up to loads with Hermione gone- ow! Okay, sorry. We'll be saints, I swear Mione! We'll stay in our dormitories and pray to the muggle Gob-"

"God."

"- and keep Satan away! I swear! We'd be lost without you, Hermione! I-"

"Okay," Hermione suppresses a grin, "I get it."