𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

They stepped out into the wintry air on a broad store-lined street packed with Christmas shoppers. People were coming in and out to stores, carrying tons of colorful handbags. A lot of happy faces were spread all over the sidewalks, radiating the Christmas atmosphere that was coming in three days.

Both James and Lexy were shivering when the winter breeze rushed towards them once they stepped out of the record store. Lexy couldn't stop herself to hug her own body while James was hiding both of his hands to the pocket of his leather jacket.

"That's the coffee shop," James said, pointing to a big pink sign with his chin. His eyes squinted as the sunbeam hit his face.

Soon Lexy followed the direction where he pointed and saw the big sign said 'Arbor Room' which was in line with the record store they came to.
"Oh thank goodness," she said under her breath but still heard by James. Her pale face was now pink with cold.

"Starving, huh?" James asked as they had started walking. He glanced beside him to check how tall Lexy was, compared to him. Apparently Lexy didn't even pass his ears and it made him feel quite pleased.

"Yep," replied Lexy shortly. She was now saving her energy she had to walk and hold back her hunger.

"Thought you're just trying to get out of there," James shrugged.

"Dude, I'd go back to my hotel room if I'm just trying to escape," she shivered, "It's freezing out here," Lexy said without looking at James who was about four inches taller than her. A wisp of white smoke escaped her mouth as she exhaled.

James, who's wondering if he'd misheard the words she said or not, glimpsed at her.
"You live in a hotel?" He asked as both of his eyebrows furrowed and he scoffed, 'what kind of people live in hotels?' he thought.

Lexy was even more confused with the question. She started to think if she said something wrong earlier because her focus was just slipped away or maybe they weren't even in the same page.
"Wait- what?" She also took a quick glance at James with her forehead creased.

"You said you'd go back to your hotel?" James asked, the questioning note was pronounced clearly in his voice.

"Well, that's where you supposed to stay when you're in another city, right?" Lexy answered.

Both James and Lexy were walking rapidly as they're eager to warm themselves inside the coffee shop, but then- "Hang on," James stopped abruptly for a second and continued walking.
"You're not from Los Angeles?" James asked, looking puzzled.

Her feet was slowing down as she tried to adjust her steps with James's.
"No, I'm not. . ." She turned her head to look at James with an are-you-serious? face. "You didn't know?"

"Nah, no one told me," he gave a half-hearted shrugged.

"Didn't Cliff-" Lexy paused for a moment, guessing that James might had forgotten the name she'd mentioned, "the bass player you met last night, told you he's from San Francisco?"

"Yeah he did, but he didn't say about you. . ." As soon as Lexy mentioned Cliff, he had one sudden thought.
'What if she was dating Cliff?' That question popped up in his mind but he immediately got rid of that while thinking that it's none of his business. He's just trying to be friends with her, right?

After some confusing conversations in the middle of frosty morning, they finally made it up to the big coffee shop which was surrounded by windows on each sides. Dozens of people were visible through the transparent glassy door.
"Oh gosh," Lexy rolled her eyes as she pushed the door. "How do you think I'd know him?"

The glassy door was opened and both Lexy and James could taste the bread and coffee's scent on the air. It was sweet and somehow smelled warm, as if they were inhaling a thick blanket on a cold winter day. No wonder the coffee shop was almost full of people when it's chilling outside.