41| I Wished Things Were Different

It was cold.

And dark.

I was frightened but I couldn't remember why.

My mind was turning and it was searching for something. I was reliving images of my past. I saw nan's face. I saw my dad's face and later my mum's. I saw Reflecta, the first bond between us. It was in the colour of a lake. Azure. It sparkled like translucent ice. Then, I saw my ice powers. Frost bursting into light hues of colour, forming unique patterns. I remembered myself as a girl, trying to catch snowflakes and maintain them in their original shapes in my palms, only with futile effort. They would either melt or I would freeze over and their edges would extend and turn to something else.

Then, I saw the colour of emerald and woke up.

My senses were numb and slow. Everything was dangerously slow. If I was in a dangerous situation, being slow is one of the things you can't be. Yet, I was slow and my body felt heavy. I was scared to move. I didn't know if I was injured and I was scared of the pain that would follow.

I held my breath for a few seconds.

I was alone.

There was my breath alone.

I slowly shifted my body and realised how uncomfortable I felt. I tested my grip and tried to move it and found I couldn't. There was something tight around my wrist.

I looked around. I was in a dark cell with no windows.

I shuffled back and used the wall to help me sit up. I was dry in the throat, my shoulders ached and I didn't want to open my eyes — I wanted to sleep.

Then, the door creaked open. The light poured inside. I winced, turning away from the brightness before it closed shut.

Footsteps.

However, just one set of footsteps.

I cautiously opened my eyes and saw that Marty stood there holding a ball of light in his palms. He stared at me.

I tested my fingers again, instinctively wanting to break the bounds around my wrist and launch directly at him. He brought me here, he was the one to-

But, every time I tried to make my powers flow, it was stopped.

Marty slowly sat down on the ground, placing the light nearby. He watched me at eye-level, "Save your energy."

I scoffed and turned my eyes away from him.

"What is this place?"

He didn't answer me. He took out a water bottle — I didn't notice he had it with him — and twisted the cap open. He held it out toward me.

"I would've killed you already," he added when he saw the look on my face.

When he saw that I didn't move, he took a generous sip and swallowed it.

I tried to gulp but my throat ached for water. So I leaned forward and Marty took my chin gently and put the bottle to my mouth. I drank in consistent swallows, relieving myself from thirst. I wanted to drink more, but Marty took the bottle away and turned the cap closed.

"What do you want from me?" I shot. "You're working with those people. With Ted and Professor May."

Marty stayed silent. I guess I was right. Professor May had always shown signs that she hated people like us but I had nothing to really prove she was actually working with those who wanted Iridescent dead. As for Ted, I only knew when he decided to make his identity known.