24| We Messed Up and I Don't Know Math

JAXTON

Jaxton entered the room with a look of exhaustion. It had been a long day of classes, not to mention... his exam...

As he trudged into his dorm, he didn't immediately become aware of another figure there, blending in with the darkness; only when he reached for the light switch did he feel that distinct gaze on him. However, he waited for the silvery voice to speak.

"Jaxton."

He flicked on the lights, unable to resist the desire to look at her. She stood, eyes weary but edged with concern. She wore dark clothes and held Iridescent in her hands with a protective grip.

He sensed that something was wrong but decided to speak of a joke instead to test the waters, "Fancy seeing you here."

She was hesitant, her ice-blue eyes shifting to the side, "I need to ask for your help."

He kept his smile on his face. "Fire away."

"Please don't be mad."

Her expression made him chuckle, "Okay, I promise."

She inhaled deeply, eyes meeting his. Her voice lowered to a whisper, "I need you to hide a body."

***

CASSANDRA

"A body, did you say?" Jaxton looked alarmed. "I haven't lost my ability to count yet, and I count three. Uno, dos, tres... three freaking bodies."

I shrugged, with one hand tucked under my elbow and the other gesturing with an abnormal casualness, "why bury one when you can bury three? Discount deal."

Vel almost stifled a laugh but held it back against the seriousness of the situation, while Jaxton simply stared at me with a look of disbelief. He held his temples with his fingers, "does anyone mind telling me what the heck is going on?"

Vel pursed her lips, "Jaxton... we... I..."

"Either you help us or you let the blood sink deeper into the wooden floor," I gestured, raising a brow.

He breathed a sigh, relenting, "I want to know one thing... did you two kill these people?"

Vel and I nodded once. I could see Jaxton hold his breath and the urge to ask further. He exhaled a breath, "and did they deserve it?"

"That's two things."

Jaxton shot me a glare and I surrendered.

"Answer the question."

I nodded fiercely and Vel followed, with more graceful bobs of her head.

Jaxton's glance went back to the bodies. "I want explanations after this is done."

"The question is how should this be done," I retorted. "We called you because the bodies were too heavy."

"Heavens," Jaxton cursed, "guess if you didn't need my labour, I wouldn't even know what's up with you two, am I right?"

Vel gulped but I stayed unfazed, "yes! Now get to work!"

"How do we get the bodies out?" Vel slipped in a question, which happens to be our main problem.

"Should we dump it over the cliff?" Jaxton suggested, looking out the balcony window. "Aaaaand your dorms are not at the cliffside."

Jaxton turned around, pulling on his black gloves. He examined the body nearest to him.

"Bloody- that was the lady we saw at the reception!" He shot a look at me and I remembered clearly which one he was talking about.

"You've been visiting us quite a lot these days, Miss Williams."