3 | Not Okay, At All

It was early morning. I had rushed to put on my light, battle attire and boots, rushed to shove down my breakfast and rushed to polish Reflecta. The secret that I had neglected to tell you all a while ago was the whole 'polishing' thing. 

Reflecta not only can reflect the light, but it's made up of the element of Iridescent. So, not only I had ice powers, but I also had the powers of other elements contained in Reflecta. 

Reflecta was like a magician herself. 

For something as powerful as Reflecta, I need to maintain it well, right? Take care of it like a precious baby, which is using the one thing that was banned in the entire world.

Molten iridescent crystal. Reflecta was made with iridescent crystals, and it needs iridescent crystals. 

I opened the small vessel I had with me; a clear bottle containing molten crystals of different colours and poured it onto Reflecta.

"Cassie, not too slowly," I said. I had a bad feeling about Tracy and tardiness. I quickly let the liquid slide down the blade, and I used a cloth to smoothen it out. It gleamed like starlight.

"Done!" I kicked a box of clothes to the side and bolted out of the door like a madwoman. 

***

"Julian is not here, so I'll be in charge," Tracy took slow, and purposeful steps as she eyed us down. We stood in a line, not daring to move an inch. I avoided eye contact as much as possible.

"Just as ordered," she stopped. There was an unpleasant sickness settling in my stomach. 

Was she planning to do something that Julian didn't approve of? 

Ted and Will stood beside me, and I equally felt their rigid and unsteady energy. At the corner of my eyes, I saw Tracy stop in front of Will, her eyes sliding off his face as she moved again. She took another step, and two... and there she was, in front of me. 

She cleared her throat, but I stared past her shoulder. I resisted her stare like the Medusa. 

"Today, we're sending someone to the Mirror Palace."

Will shuddered beside me, and the newbies unwisely began to whisper eagerly about the new term. Mirror Palace. 

"Do you know?" A girl next to me asked. I shook my head.

Tracy raised her hand, "silence!" 

The crowd quietened instantly. Her booming voice shaking everyone's hearts, for sure.

"There's no need to talk!" She said sternly. "We will send someone with experience and skill."

She turned around, reaching the end of the line before she strut back. The tightness in my throat loosened. She was probably not going to pick-

"Cassandra."

What! Since when did she appear in front of me? 

She allowed a grin to bloom on her face, and I could feel my doom. "You can go."

I rounded my eyes while the sophomores sighed in relief.

"I think you've made a mistake," was all I could come up with. 

Tracy giggled. "Don't be silly! You were great yesterday, everyone saw," she gestured at the others. "Why are you suddenly not experienced today?"