17| I Turned my Back on My Enemy

I wasn't sure why I went back to my dorm. I guess I felt safe there, away from everyone. I had enough attention today, and I was overwhelmed. My plan was to get back to my dorm and heal myself and get into the comforts of my bed. I could do it.

But the moment I closed the door, my legs turned into noodles and a faintness sent me sliding to the floor. I held my pounding head, unable to catch my breath.

Shoot! I thought I felt a tiny bit better.

I tried to get up, but moving an inch would make my head spin. I slumped back, leaned my head against the side of the cabinet.

I think I'll sit here... take a nap...

I didn't know how long I slept but it was short, and I desperately wished it was longer. I woke in a haze, feeling feverish. There was a sound...

A shadow covered the dim lights in the room. It was a lazy afternoon. Usually, I would have finished my classes and lunch, and be heading to a nearby garden to chill with a book. Except, I was here; the air was suffocatingly still.

"Hey..."

My eyes opened in an instant, unable to believe that I was hearing his voice and that he was here. I didn't want him to see me like this.

"Jaxton?" I couldn't help but blurt; an embarrassed shade crossing my features. He always saw me at my best; my confident and strong image I'd shown everyone. Even when Lambert defeated me on day one, I still held some pride, except now... I was a mess. I was wheezing, I couldn't control my tears, and my face was dry and red.

"Hi..." he said, kneeling in front of me, brows furrowed. "How are you feeling?"

"I... I don't know," I breathed.

Jaxton's expression was a labyrinth and I didn't understand what I was seeing. What was on his face was unfamiliar.

Suddenly, he reached out his hand. I twitched back.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said, and from looking at his eyes I knew he told the truth.

His hand hung in the air for a short moment before he moved again, slowly and carefully, until his cold palm was cupping my flaming neck.

I saw the subtle change on his face. "Let's get you to a healer."

"No..." I protested faintly. "I can do it myself. You know I can! I just... I just need a nap.... just wait."

His thumb traced my jawline as though pleading. "I'm not going to take a risk with you, Cass."

My eyes fluttered, just so I could look at him clearly. His green gaze was soft and he was close to me; this intimacy felt different... it was different. I leaned into his cold palm, giving a subtle nod.

Slowly, he came forward, grabbing me by the arm to pull me up. I let him. I honestly didn't care anymore. As long as he eventually throws me in some sort of bed so I can sleep off the pain.

Jaxton dragged me down the stairs, my arm thrown over his shoulder as we staggered to the exit of the camp.

"Whoa, whoa, hold it there!" It was Ted's voice. "I've never seen you before."

Will's voice came next. "Cassie! Why are you abducting Cassie?"

"I'm not abducting her, I'm taking her to a healer."

"Cassie! What happened?" Ted shot the question at me.

"Long story," I revealed a weak smile.

"Who are you?" Will shot the next question at Jaxton.