20 - eye can't believe it

a/n - question! would y'all like more filler with idk everyone or just to get into the many,,, many endings? for the endings i'm planning on at least two chapters each? maybe?

demon slayer arc is basically over, and i,,, have never read the haikyuu manga or know the newest season that well so if i do continue the story i'd be making most of it up on my own

with both of my eyes closed, i slowly stirred to consciousness, feeling the aching of my body. my head was pounding as i shifted on the covers of the bed i was on.

a voice nearby spoke carefully, "(y/n)? are you awake? don't open your eyes yet!!"

i furrowed my brows, noticing my right arm was in a cast and there were various other bandages on my body. "naho? okay okay i won't open my eyes..."

nonetheless, i carefully brought my left hand up to my face, feeling the heavy wrapping that was put around my head.

naho's soft voice once more met my senses, "i-i'll be right back! stay here and don't get up!"

a few moments later, two sets of footsteps approached and entered the room. i lowered my left hand from my face and let it fall to the bed. the second person spoke, "(y/n), you can open up your left eye if you want..."

i did as she said, squinting slightly until my eye adjusted to the light above me. "aoi! naho! is everyone else okay?"

her face dropped a bit as she turned to naho, "go ahead and check on everyone else, okay?" the young girl nodded and left the room, looking like she was on the brink of tears. i looked back at her, sitting up carefully and listening as she continued. "so many lives were lost... for the most part, the hashiras are okay, just injured. most of them are still asleep and healing. but..."

tears started to fall down as aoi began to lightly shake. i pulled her to be sitting beside me on the bed, pulling her into a hug with my one free arm.

"s-shinobu!! she... sh-she's gone!!! of course she would sacrifice herself to avenge her sister!! why didn't she think about the people she would leave behind?" she struggled to speak, emotions bubbling up until she finally managed to let everything out.

my heart dropped in my chest. she's gone? i took a deep breath and lightly rubbed comforting circles on aoi's back, "don't cry too much. you know that she wouldn't want you to do that. it was her choice so..."

i let her vent everything out for awhile, waiting for her to calm down and catch her breath. once she did, she started to explain how the others were doing while examining my right eye. "mitsuri's lung was almost punctured, but is definitely bruised. tomioka... he's okay other than his missing arm, but it heal soon enough. tokito has a lot of scarring, and a broken hand, but should be fine in a few days. iguro hasn't been responding so far... but we'll find out soon enough. otherwise, everyone else is okay, other than some more broken bones."

she finally exposed my right eye to the air, and luckily it had stopped bleeding. "thank you for everything, aoi."

making eye contact with my one eye (eye contact truly is singular now), she flicked my forehead. "shut up. you and your broken arm, countless wounds, and a sliced eye."

i laughed lightly, leaning my head back as she continued.

"... can you... try to open it?" she asked, and i nodded while moving my gaze to her face. carefully, i opened my eye, feeling the stinging of the air as soon as i did so. the feeling made me wince, but that wasn't the worst part of it yet.

holding my hand infront of my right eye, i sighed a shaky breath, "i can't see out of it."

aoi grabbed my hand and gave me a bitter yet comforting smile, "okay. to be honest, i expected that. you can close it, we might give you an eye patch to wear from now on."