Divine Intervention

An abandoned building...

"We're back here, huh?" Touma says.

"Yeah, it's been a while," Misaka responds quietly.

The party stands outside a lab. A sign sits in some grass, with the text on it completely faded away.

Shulk cuts down one last Mechon. "It looks like the area's clear, guys."

"The lab was heavily guarded," Kuroko mentions. "Whatever's in there must be important to these machines. How did Uiharu and Saten get past..?"

"It's possible..." Shulk closes his eyes to think. "...that Ruiko was in the building before the rift expanded and rose above the building. Afterward, Uiharu ran to help Ruiko before any Mechon surrounded the area."

"Do you think they were trying to prevent the two from escaping?"

"I doubt it. It's like what you said just now. The Mechon think that whatever, or whoever, is in the lab is important. We need to be ready."

Touma turns to Misaka. "You ready to go?"

Misaka's cheeks dust with pink. "Wh-why ask me?"

"You saw a vision, too, right?" Touma scratches the back of his head. "I'm sure you can handle it."

"Thanks."

The four move through the front doors. Walking down the long doorway, nothing seems suspicious yet.

"It's weird," Shulk says.

Kuroko perks up. "What is?"

"The outside of the lab was heavily guarded. Why not the inside?"

"You're right..." Kuroko looks down and around the hall. "This place is awfully quiet."

Peering from behind a door, a dark fog pours out. Touma seems to be the only one who notices.

"Hey, guys..?"

"Look!" Shulk points ahead. "It's the room we were in last time!"

The party rushes to the room, where a massive ring with an odd symbol sits. A large hole in the ceiling is apparent.

A smaller rift sits where the symbol once was. Dark fog spilling out of it and trails upward.

"What the..?" Touma looks around the room.

"Could that hole be connected to the rift in the sky somehow?" Kuroko asks.

"That's a good hypothesis." Shulk looks up from beneath the hole in the ceiling. The fog flows upward, right into the larger rift. "This rift might be supplying the bigger rift with power. I'm not sure why there would be two rifts, but that could be the case."

"You seem to know a lot about this fog, Shulk-kun. Fess up."

"I don't have anything to do with it! I have seen this fog before, though. If my theory is right..."

Fog begins to gather from behind the party.

Touma turns around.

"Uh, guys..?"

The other three don't notice. "Maybe, this fog is different than the one I saw back then," Shulk continues.

The fog seems to form into something.

"Guys..?"

Still, no one else notices.

"Or, it just hasn't shown up yet..."

"TURN AROUND, GUYS!" Touma finally shouts, loud enough so that everyone else notices.

An orange glowing glare meets the party as they finally notice the elephant, or fog, in the room.