Chimera

word count: 1.8k

--

The distance was all that mattered. You weren't stopping for anything and you were sure you weren't taking your foot off the gas for a little mud. You didn't even have words to describe temperature and weather in your vocabulary.

The soft fabric of your dress wasn't enough as a heat source for you. It gave no protection against even a spring breeze, let alone the bitter onslaught of winter. The wind penetrated the fibers with absurd ease and every drop of icy rain soaked through the instant of its impact.

Your body heat didn't do so much as drain away or leach out slowly, it abandoned you with callous speed to leave yourself helpless and shivering too violently to either flee or communicate.

You ran through a maze of buildings and winding side streets as the sky rumbled, and heavy rain bounced off the cobblestone. Drops of cold rain beat against your shivering body like hammers. You did your best to refocus on your surroundings and to think of an escape route.

Your bare feet were caked in mud and the storm had battered your braided [hair color] hair into a tangled mess. Even though you were scared, you have to run away from them no matter what.

The sound of running footsteps getting louder and louder made your heart race. You scanned the area to look for a different route however with your panic state still present within you, it was difficult for you to find one.

Verge of tears was swelling from the corner of your eyes. Many silhouettes have started to gather and closer to you until you heard a voice from the other side.

"Over here!"

You whipped your head at the source of the voice and saw a hooded figure standing from the alleyway. You backed away from the suspicious man. Who in the world is he? You don't even know whether he's part of the one chasing after you or he's just trying to help.

Your footing slipped when you backed away until he quickly caught you by your hand and pulled you towards him. You almost screamed in instinct however he clasped his hand over your mouth and tugged you back behind the building.

The group of men chasing you had passed by, the sound of their wet gait started to fade from the distance. The male behind you carefully released his hold on your mouth and let down his hood revealing himself.

"Are you alright?"

Your body was so stiff against his back. You quaffed the bile stuck in your throat, warily observing your savior from the corner of your vision. His gentle azure eyes made your racing heart eased as you nodded to him.

The unknown boy sighed in relief and snooped behind the wall turning his eyes left and right, watching out for anything suspicious and making sure the men are now gone. The sound of bell chiming caught your attention though the boy had already grabbed your hand and dragged you deeper into the alleyway.

You jerked your arm from him and clutched it close to your chest as you asked, "Wh-who are you...?" There it was again, the ringing sound of a small bell. You furrowed your brows at the noise and looked at him skeptically.

Your senses shot to full alert by the time you saw his cape rustling. He yelped and stepped back just after your skin was grazed by the cold winds and the ringing was getting louder and louder.

You covered your ears at the earsplitting jingles resonating around the area. Opening one of your eyes to see what was that, your perception was greeted by a small creature furiously tugging at the boy's sleeve.