Ludi Harpastum 2

word count: 6.3k

--

Venti steadied his breath, trying to calm the adrenaline rush of his nerves and the palpitation of his heart. He strides long and fast, searching for a place with less crowds and far from the main venue.

"Ven- Venti- wait!"

Your pleas went deaf to his ears. You tried to keep up with his pace but he was too fast. Even if he was dragging you along with him, it was getting too much for you. Your wrist hurts so much. And you can feel the stems of the flower bracelet piercing through your skin because of the tight pressure.

"Venti!" You cried out as loud as you could. But it was useless. He just kept running away from the venue where you both were supposed to celebrate the festival together. You tried to free yourself from his strong clutch but it wasn't budging.

"Please stop, Venti!"

The bard paused, finally stopping in his tracks. You gulped heavily, catching your breath from keeping up with him. The pain on your wrist suddenly became bearable - maybe because of how much you've been suppressing it for some time now.

"What's wrong? Why did you suddenly run away from the city?" You asked in between your heavy breaths.

Venti turned to look at you, concern written in his eyes.

"I..."

I don't want you to meet them. He thought.

He wished he could say that and yet you'd have no idea what he means by it.

"I just need to get some fresh air." He lied.

Venti hates lying. He doesn't want to lie to you. It's like killing the relationship he had already established. To keep you safe, he would tell infinite lies if he had to. He does believe in honesty, yet his love for you is his supreme first principle.

"I-is that so? I was worried we left Mondstadt when we were supposed to find a different game." You pouted.

Venti smiled, relieved that you didn't ask him more questions about his sudden shift of behavior. But he wasn't relieved when he saw small trails of blood dripping down the arm he was holding. Venti, in great panic, released your wrist and gently cleaned the smears of blood ruining your skin.

"Shoot, I'm sorry, I... I didn't mean to..."

His gaze immediately turned despondent and miserable. He felt his knees giving up as drops of your blood stained his own palm.

Why...

He asked himself.

Why is everything turning out this way?

Venti was supposed to be enjoying this celebration with you and yet he himself was the one ruining it. Biting his lip, he fought the urge to cry.

"I-I'm sorry, I..."

He held your bloodied hand between his and healed it with Anemo. His chest stung. He can feel the marks in his chest burning. He can sense how hurt you are.

How did I turn out this way...?

His vision blurred heavily. Tears spilled over and flowed down his face like a river escaping a dam. No matter how much he wanted to hold back his cries, a small drop of tear fell on the back of his hand.