Song of the Ancients

word count: 3k

--

If someone would ask Venti what happened, he'll simply give a smile and say it's nothing. But in this situation, one can feel the uncanny and dangerous aura surrounding him. It's either they know not to press any further or they're too naive to understand what's going on.

It's unusual for the happy-go-lucky bard to be silent, there's no doubt about that. His eyes scanned the grass and see if there's anything out of place there. Something that might be left behind.

In the old ruins of the former city of freedom, there was nothing for his mind to hang onto. There was no familiar sight of you, no sound of your breathing other than the howling of the air. Only the heart beating in his chest stopped him from becoming frozen like Snezhnaya's landscapes.

When he twirled around to at least see the tracks you have left, there were none. The only way to navigate you was by the sun, birds, and winds.

He bit the inside of his cheek, drawing out blood unwittingly. The taste of iron meeting his tongue brought him out of his mind. He swayed his head and knelt down, feeling the meadow with his fingers.

Calm down, she couldn't have gone that far.

Right, there's no need to panic. Maybe you have started wandering the place out of curiosity and see what has changed. He remembered he marked you with Anemo last night, he could try it to track you.

His fingers twirled and called the winds if there would be any signs of your presence nearby. Expecting a response, only silence greeted him.

No gust of the Mondstadt breeze came by to answer him.

He clenched his fists so hard that nails cut into his skin as his brows dug on his front. He called the gales once more and this time he waited a little bit longer. A minute passed, then five minutes and there was still nothing.

In the grip of silent panic, his eyes dilated and his heart began to race. He hoisted himself up from the ground and looked around in sheer distress. Emerald optics meandered everywhere like the wings of a hummingbird.

How could this be? I swear the mark should still remain on her, the effect should last for more than a day.

Venti's eyes caught the sight of a small orb laying not so far away from where he was standing. He jogged to where the said item was and grabbed it hastily.

It's the emblem hanging on your dress.

A slight crack can be seen from it. This was his chance if he can see if there would be any anemo marks lingering. He hopes it would. He can't bring himself to the thought of losing you, let alone letting you wander with dangerous monsters hidden here.

Once again, he used his powers to summon the winds to look for you. Each second that passed by seemed like an hour, and each time they elapsed the more he tightly grips on the insignia.

It didn't really faze him when the sharp glass cut his skin. What did was the fact there was no response and it reminded him you're missing. He shouldn't have left you. He blamed himself for this.

His pulse raced and breathed heavily, almost as if he would burst. He narrowed his eyes at the insignia and threw it to the ground making it shatter into pieces. Not like you would need that anyway, he can just give you an Anemo Vision and he'll gladly offer it to you if you asked.