40

Ivy

Isaac and I walk across the courtyard. It's gotten a lot busier here since I arrived, but it makes sense for a Friday night. A few people turn to look at us, clearly surprised to see the two of us together.

I'm just as surprised as they are.

"Ay, yo, Isaac!" An unfamiliar voice calls towards him. I glance at the source. There's a guy standing outside the bar, frantically waving at him.

"Who's that?" I ask.

"Nobody," he tells me. "Just ignore him."

The guy says something to his friends, causing them to turn around and look at us. I furrow my brows, recognising them instantly. I focus on the bar a little more, checking to see if Trey and Ryan are with them, but it doesn't look like it.

"Are you coming, or what?" The guy yells.

"They're with Sigma Gamma Phi," I say.

"Yeah, they just want drugs," Isaac responds. But the guys aren't giving up. Luke Wilson suddenly appears in my vision, joining the group outside the bar. My heart sinks. I don't want to deal with this.

"Hey! Ivy! Come on over!" he yells.

"Ignore him," Isaac says. We continue walking towards the road, but Luke just can't help pushing our buttons.

"Bet you like my sloppy seconds, huh Zac?" He calls. Isaac freezes, turning over to glare at him.

"Leave it," I say, but Isaac can't hold back.

"What the fuck did you just say?" he yells, his voice booming across the courtyard.

"It doesn't matter," I insist. "Let's just go."

"You heard me!" Luke responds. "Hope she fucks you better than–."

"Hey!" Isaac marches forward. "You watch your fucking mouth!"

"Isaac!" I hurry after him. "It's fine. Let's just go!"

"Nah, fuck that!"

"Come on!" I grab his hand, tugging him backward. He pauses in his step, not wanting to drag me along with him.

"They can't keep saying this shit and getting away with it!"

"It's not worth it!"

"Yes, it fucking is!"

"Isaac, please," I beg. "You don't need to fight. I just want to go home."

"I can't just–."

"Please," I insist. "Please, just take me home."

He looks over at me, searching my eyes. He's breathing rapidly and he's gripping my hand so tightly, it's starting to hurt. His are filled with fury, but his expression slowly starts to ease.

"Okay," he nods. "Let's get out of here."

"Thank you," I let out a sigh of relief.

"Yeah, that's what I thought, bitch! Walk the fuck away!" Luke calls. I tighten my grip on Isaac's hand, refusing to let him go.

"Don't respond," I warn. I try to pull him away, but he resists, standing frozen in place. "Please, Isaac. Just come with me."

He lets out a frustrated groan but finally turns away from the group of boys. He lets me take him away and drag him out of the courtyard. By the time we reach the road, my hand has gone completely numb, and Isaac is still as tense as he was before.