Chapter Twenty-Four

Disclaimer: "Once an idea has taken hold of the brain, it's almost impossible to eradicate." Including this one. So, although I don't own the characters or the world, I'm writing with them anyway, because "even the smallest seed of an idea can grow." (Yes, I just watched Inception, don't come at me.)

Note: Listen to Therefore I Am by Billie Eilish and Castle by Halsey! I already recommended the second one in the last book but it fits this chapter too perfectly.

o-0-o

"This is madness," Hermione muttered, staring at her untouched eggs. "There's no possible way this is going to work."

"It certainly won't with that attitude," Tom said, not even looking up from the newspaper he was reading.

She glared at him, even though she knew he couldn't see, and mentally recited all of the different rules for closing off one's mind, while also internally panicking.

Calm down, Hermione. You're only about to try to take or receive the bloody Elder Wand from Albus bloody Dumbledore himself. Nothing to stress about.

Oh, do shut up. I can still hear you.

She blinked and realized she hadn't closed off her end of the bond. "Oh. Sorry." She looked up just in time to see him roll his eyes and sent him another glare he wouldn't see. "I'm just stressed, alright? This isn't going to work at all. We're completely destined for failure."

"Well, at least you're confident," he said dryly, turning another page in the paper. "Oh, here's an article by Cecily."

Hermione's eyes widened, and she stood up, moving over to his side of the table. "It's one of the shorter ones." She took the paper and began reading it aloud. "Minister Spencer-Moon: Skillful, Shrewd, and Strong. By Cecily Parkinson. Nice alliteration," she smiled. Tom motioned for her to continue, and she cleared her throat.

"Recently, we were plunged into a global war, led by the cruel and powerful Gellert Grindelwald. Brother fought against brother as everyone's beliefs and ideals were put to the test, and we wizards and witches held our own kind at wandpoint. Many died, and many more are currently facing time in Azkaban, or have already been sentenced. It was a time of distrust, and manipulation, and fear.

"But throughout all of that, our Minister, Leonard Spencer-Moon, never lost his head, proving himself to be just, merciful, and above all, capable. However, he is rather underappreciated for the extreme efforts he took to ensure our safety, to ensure the end of the war. Most do not know what went on behind the scenes, all of the negotiations, critical decisions, and sacrifices he had to make in order to keep the people of our world safe.

"We here at the Daily Prophet would like to thank you, Minister, for being our savior in a harsh and terrifying time, and for ensuring that every little boy and girl has a home to go to."

Tom smirked. "I believe that is the most nauseating, disgusting thing I have ever had the misfortune to read."

"Which means she's doing her job perfectly." Hermione laughed in delight. "We're really under way, Tom! We're actually doing this!"

Tom smiled at her. "Did you ever doubt we would?"

She returned his smile. "Quite a lot, actually. But I don't anymore."

He nodded, taking her hand and squeezing it. She laced her fingers through his, drawing some of his courage, and gripped her wand. "Okay. Let's do this."

"You remember his address?"

"Yes."

"Good luck, then."