Chapter Eleven

Disclaimer: It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman, in possession of the rights to Harry Potter, must be in want of pretty much nothing because that's the best thing that you could ask for. I am, sadly, not that woman.

A/N: While I was writing this chapter, I listened to New Blood by Zayde Wolf and Dangerous Game by Klergy. Both are fantastic!

o-0-o

Hermione was distracted for the rest of the week, unable to get her mind off of Tom's "study group". She worried about joining. She worried about getting branded with the Dark Mark (dear Merlin). She worried about what the other Death Eaters would think if a Muggleborn joined.

Mostly, though, she worried about Tom's influence over her.

Since she had met him, she had become Lady Persephone, devised a plan to take down the Ministry of Magic, become branded with a soul bond that connected her to him, something the Ministry had classified as Dark magic, and was now about to join the Death Eaters. She knew she had changed, but how much would she change even before they graduated?

She would not let him get into her head.

I'm about to become an official Death Eater.

She hadn't realized that she'd sent it through the soul bond until she heard Tom's amused response. How long have you been repeating that to yourself?

A while, she responded wryly.

You should put it out of your mind. We have Potions in a few minutes, and you need to impress Slughorn.

Why?

Because today, he hands out the invitations to his Slug Club.

Oh. And you want me to join?

It's imperative that you join. It will be an excellent way to impress the others.

Because I'm going to be a Death Eater. I'm actually joining the Death Eaters. Merlin's beard.

No, he responded patiently, you're simply masquerading as a Death Eater to earn their trust.

But I'll have to be branded, won't I?

Yes. But it won't be worse than the soul bond.

Don't I have to kill an innocent in order to get the Dark Mark?

There was a pause. Where in Salazar's name did you hear that?

Harry.

She could feel him scoff. Of course the Chosen One would say that. No, Hermione, you don't have to kill an innocent.

But –

I expect that I required that later on, when I became insane and... unsightly.

Hermione giggled. Unsightly was a word for it. Gray skin, no hair whatsoever, red eyes, and slits for nostrils. Unsightly was rather understating it. You won't make any more Horcruxes, right? How many do you have at the moment?

He paused. Just the one. I plan on making more.

She swallowed. How many more?

Five. Six Horcruxes total. Seven is the most powerfully magical number, so if I create six Horcruxes, my – my soul will be in seven pieces.

Merlin's pants, Tom. That's really dark.

She could feel his smile through the soul bond. I want to live forever.