Chapter 5

Darkstalker was quickly transported into a new place. It was cold, dark, and generally unpleasant. Darkstalker looked around and noticed he was probably underground. The walls, floor, and ceiling were made from snow and ice. Darkstalker then noticed Foeslayer trapped in ice, being mocked at by Queen Diamond and Arctic. Foeslayer's eyes were still moving in the ice and they pointed towards Darkstalker. Darkstalker quickly waved his talons and the nightmare disappeared, leaving both dragons in the void. Foeslayer quickly dropped the ground, holding her neck and gasping for breath. Darkstalker slowly walked over to his mother, who shuffled away in a panic.

"Please, you monster, don't hurt me or my son!" she said. Darkstalker felt as though a dagger of ice went through his heart.

"Mother.. It's me.. Your son.." Darkstalker said, but that didn't calm down Foeslayer.

"Get away! You're not my son anymore! You killed the IceWings and created a war!" she cried out. Each word she said stabbed Darkstalker more violently than the last.

"Mother.. I just want to talk.." Darkstalker said slowly, reaching to help Foeslayer up. Foeslayer's panicked breathing slowed as she hesitantly grabbed Darkstalker's talons. Darkstalker helped his mother up and Darkstalker waved his talons and two comfortable chairs appeared. They sat down in both and a table with food and drinks appeared.

"Is this a dream?" Foeslayer asked, helping herself to a piece of bread.

"A bit of both. We're both in a dream, yet us talking to each other is real." Darkstalker answered, filling his goblet with water.

"I don't understand.. The spell was supposed to get rid of you forever." Foeslayer said, once more harming Darkstalker with her words.

"It was." Darkstalker said with a lump in his throat. He took a sit from this goblet only to taste nothing. Has it REALLY been that long since I drank water? Darkstalker mentally questioned himself.

"I don't-- You-- So where have you been for the past.. Year?.." Foeslayer asked flabbergasted. Darkstalker hesitating before answering.

"I've been with Peacemaker, as his best friend. He's a nice dragonet, you know." Darkstalker said, reaching for a cookie. Foeslayer stared at Darkstalker with her wide green eyes.

"So THAT'S why he talks to himself so often..." Foeslayer said, putting down her plate. "The food you summoned is also pretty bland, mind you. Then again this is a dream so I can't complain." she added. Darkstalker shifted a bit awkwardly.

"Yes, that's why he talks to himself and 'plays' with his food." Darkstalker confirmed.

"So-- So you've been listening to all of our conversations?" Foeslayer asked suddenly.

"Not really,"He said. "I can hear Peacemaker, but not you or any other dragon."

"Oh, I see..." Foeslayer said. "Have you.. You've been nice to him, right?"
Darkstalker looked down at his plate of food.

"I think I have."

"Do you want to escape him or something like that?"
Foeslayer asked suddenly. Darkstalker stiffened a bit, caught off balance by the question.
"I-- No I-- I.. I don't know.." Darkstalker stuttered. Foeslayer cocked her head at her son. Darkstalker took a long sigh before continuing to talk.
"I just don't want to be there when he finds out..." he admitted. Foeslayer's green eyes grew more sad.

"I know the feeling. I didn't want to tell you or Whiteout about the war going on about Arctic and I..." Foeslayer said while positioning herself into a more comfortable position.

"I don't want to burden the poor dragonet with who he was before... He deserves to grow up without knowing that his best friend was a genocidal killer." Darkstalker said, catching Foeslayer visually off guard.