Chapter 52: The Woods

When she saw the tents already set up, she knew she was in the right place. She'd never been the type of person who liked big parties, being far too shy and introverted, but a small gathering on her birthday seemed cool, even if Ally wasn't there.

I'm hanging out with her next weekend no matter what.

It was only sunset, but her eyelids already felt heavy. She had reached the point of fatigue from the constant work and migraines that she felt physically ill. It was impossible to hide the bags which seemed to grow more prominent by the day with makeup, even though she'd tried.

A day of fun and then seeing Ally soon would get her through it.

At least so she thought for a moment, until she remembered all the calculus homework she'd have to do before Monday.

Don't worry about that now... Just enjoy being out of the house tonight...

__

The evening sky was ablaze with smoldering Merigold as she neared the campground. It wasn't too far out of the way, just a few miles north of the hiking trail across from the school. They weren't really in the woods; it was more like they were adjacent to them. As she parked by the others and got out of the car it still felt good to be out in the early autumn air. Away from screens and textbooks. Away from everything.

Sarah waved to her by the campfire and Amber waved back and then started unpacking her things from the car.

__

Her tent was a bit smaller than the others, but she was still having some trouble setting it up, until Leon ran over and helped her. She gave him a friendly smile and thanked him once the job was done.

"Of course," he responded eagerly. "We're about to light the campfire, you should come over!"

"Right. I'll be over as soon as I get my bag."

Leon ran over to her car like an Olympic track star and held it up in front of her before she could blink twice.

"Thanks, Leon," she laughed.

He clearly wanted to walk with her, he just stood there, waiting, as he seemed to often do.

"Just gimme one sec to bring this in," she said with a polite look.

Leon nodded, but didn't move.

Oookay I guess he's just gonna go ahead and wait. Cool...

Amber brought her bag inside and set it on the floor of the tent. She only took one thing out, a copy of Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World,' the book she'd selected for the month before stepping outside and following her doting fan.

__

The fire had already been started by the time Amber got back with Leon, and to her surprise, beers were being handed out.

Leon ran to the cooler and got one for himself, and one for Amber and tossed it to her. She caught it but handled the glass bottle awkwardly like she'd never held one before.

"Come and sit with us and have a drink!" he urged, and the others agreed.

Sarah eyed her curiously. "Is that a book?"

Uhh yeah. It's literature club still isn't it?

Her cheeks burned red, feeling everyone looking at her like she was from another planet. She averted her eyes and thought about turning around and driving home.