chapter four .

amethyst.

MATILDA WAS BEYOND ANXIOUS FOR THE DINNER WITH BILL'S FAMILY, and no matter what he said to calm her down, somehow his siblings would find a way to frighten her again. She was beyond grateful to Bill when he finally managed to convince his mother to get his family to the hotel they were meant to be staying in. They all said there temporary goodbyes to the 'couple' before disapparating.

Matilda sighed, exhausted, and collapsed onto Bill's leather couch. He chuckled at her, walking over to her and taking the spot next to her. Matilda glanced over at him, taking him in for the moment she had.

"I really have to thank you for this, Matilda," Bill sighed, turning her way. He wasn't surprised to see her already watching him, and offered the woman a smile. "What was your impression of my family, then? Who's your favourite?"

"I never said anything about having a favourite," Matilda replied. Bill raised her eyebrow at her, a knowing smirk on his lips. Matilda sighed in defeat, pushing her glasses up her nose. "I can't make that judgement yet, William."

"Why not?" Bill queried, adjusting himself to his elbow rested against the top of his sofa, and his head rested against his palm as he gazed at Matilda.

"Because," Matilda let out a breath, "I-I haven't met Charlie, yet."

"And will Charlie trump me?"

"Wh-what?" Matilda shot upright. Bill let out a loud laugh at her flustered, sputtering state. "If only you hadn't received that letter!" Matilda huffed, standing up from the couch. She marched to the opposite side of the room and leant against the kitchen island, glaring at the red-haired male in the living room.

"If I'm being honest, Matilda," Bill spoke, still chuckling between his words as he stood from the couch. He made his way over to Matilda, who continued to glare daggers at him. "I was going to ask for your help, anyway. The fact that you have a crush on me just seemed to solidify it for me."

"You're using me because you received a letter that I fancy you, William," Matilda stated.

"Is this you saying you don't have a crush on me?" Bill's confident and amused face faltered slightly as he raised his eyebrow, questioning the woman in front of him. Matilda bit her lip and turned away, unable to speak. "Matilda."

"Whether I do or not is none of your concern right now, William," Matilda spoke, swallowing the lump in her throat as she tried to level her voice. "We should probably get ready for dinner. Is it happening here?"

"Yeah," Bill nodded, his face falling. He ran a hand through his hair, breathing deeply, and looked away. "I'm sorry." He turned his eyes to Matilda once more. She kept there back to him, biting her tongue as he spoke. "I probably stepped over the line. I'm sorry, Matilda."

"It's fine, William," Matilda spun on her heel, grinning at him. "I'm probably only acting like this because I'm stressing out a bit over your family and everything that's happening. I'm sorry for getting upset with you."

Bill waved her off. "You're alright. Seeing how anxious you are, would you like something to drink?"

"Like... alcohol?" Matilda asked sceptically.

"No, no," Bill laughed, "not now. I was thinking more along the lines of tea?"

"Do you have peppermint?" Matilda asked, quirking up her eyebrow.