chapter twelve .

nuumite.

MATILDA WASN'T A RELIGIOUS PERSON, but if there was someone, or thing, up or down there, she hoped they would take mercy on her. It hadn't been a week since their last encounter, which was usually enough time for her to sort herself out, but Matilda found that any resilience to Bill she'd built up had completely crumbled the next moment she saw him. It was pure accident that Matilda's stroll around — which she used as an excuse to get away from Xander and Vivian's icky affection towards one another — had led her to the spot she currently stood, approximately fifteen metres from where the man she didn't wish to see stood. He had yet to notice her, much to her relief, but she figured he would turn around soon only to see her staring at him. And what didn't help was the fact that Matilda just couldn't seem to move her damned feet.

"Please, just move," Matilda hissed to her legs, looking down at them, willing herself to remember the mechanics of walking on two legs. 

"Matilda!"

"Damn you," Matilda cursed to her calves.

She wiped her annoyed expression from her face and looked up with a broad grin, which immediately contorted to an awkward smile the second she made eye contact with the tall red-haired male who'd been facing away moments ago. Matilda forced her gaze to Charlie, who was jogging over to her, grinning heartily. His smile, as infectious as ever, found itself duplicated on Matilda's own lips. The red-haired male finally reached the woman and scooped her into a bear hug without warning.

Matilda almost gawked at how strong the younger male was. They'd never hugged before, and the act was shockingly new for her, so much so that she'd let out a tumultuous yelp. Charlie pulled away after a moment and placed his hand on Matilda's dark curls, still beaming.

"Man, it's been forever since I've seen you! You still look as brilliant as always," Charlie spoke, his tone as friendly as she remembered. Matilda felt her cheeks heat at the compliment, too embarrassed to give him anything more than a soft 'thank you'.

"I was wondering when you'd show."

Matilda gulped at the all-too-familiar voice. She looked up at Bill, offering him a sweet smile, taking a hasty examination of him before he could notice. His usual fang earring hung from his ear, only evident now due to how he tied his hair back in a rather messy ponytail, and Matilda noticed he was sporting a rather beat-up looking jacket, which she remembered seeing hanging from various places in his home each time she visited.

"I honestly thought I would find you stuck with the others first," Bill laughed.

"Bill told me you were coming for your... cousin, was it?" Matilda's eyes flicked back to Charlie, and she nodded her head. "I had a coworker get married recently, actually. His partner wanted frogs as part of the decorations, he wanted dragons, so they had winged frogs that blasted water from their mouths." Charlie snorted at the memory, and Matilda let out a soft laugh at the image that popped into her head. "The water was a bad idea. The dragon-frogs kept spraying the guests."

"That sounds like a wedding to remember," Matilda hummed, smiling gently. Charlie laughed once more and nodded. "So, are the rest of your family here yet? Or have you two decided to arrive earlier?"

"Oh no, they arrived before us," Bill replied. "They had to take a portkey, so they were up early and we were still lying in bed." Matilda giggled quietly at the thought of their family members grumbling and getting ready while the pair slept on without worry. "Did you arrive with Vivian and Xander?"